please suggest me any software testing courses on particular domain which will help me

Hi..
I'm working in small s/w company as engineer. I'm involved in software testing and part of development using C# and SQL server.

I have completed 2 years and now wanted to switch.

I attended 5 interviews and cleared technical rounds on testing and SQL. But I failed in manager rounds where they asked for documents, processes.
As I'm working in small company. We don't follow any processes and documents. Its similar to adhoc. We don't have any senior tester as such who will guide us.
I'm really confused.
please suggest me any software testing courses on particular domain which will help me. . .

waiting for replay

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, the documents that CMMI level companies use and the processes they implement are not a big deal. I'm not sure whether software testing courses will expose you to the documents and processes that the interviewers asked. I'm surprised that they rejected you on this basis.

There are several documents used at different parts of the testing life cycle. If you could find out the documents / processes you want more information about, I'm sure QA engineers would definitely help you understand them.
  • akhil K
    akhil K
    Thank you very much..
    is specifying development on C# in my resume affect selection process.??
    should i mention only testing experience in my resume.. ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Why should you hide anything from your prospective employer? People would die to have the resume like yours: knowledge of both testing and development! You'd sell like a hot cake in the job market.

The trouble is only with the 'processes' and 'documents', right? I guess I'll tag #-Link-Snipped-# who might help you understanding the typical documents and processes followed in MNCs and bigger 'process oriented' companies.
  • akhil K
    akhil K
    Thank you very much.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    So this should be the typical answer they would be expecting from you,

Phase 1 - Requirements Gathering.
    We will have a requirement gathering meeting with our Business/business analyst (depending upon your way of interacting) and we prepare a understanding document of the requirements.
    The end product of phase1 for Development team is Technical Design documents.
    The end product of phase1 for Testingteam is Functional specifications and usecases.

Phase2- Development and testing.
    Developers develop the code and give us the build , that their process.
    Testers job here is to develop Test Plans and Test Cases using the functional documents and usecases.
    Then preparing something called Requirement Tracebility Matrix.
    In testing phase, all the test cases are executed and defects are raised in a defect tracking tool. The most popular one is Quality Center (Ifyou dont know anything about it, spend 1 hour you will learn it )

Daily status report is sent to client and team for tracking and assessing the progress.

Finally , test summart report is sent.

This is a high level process of what a testing team does. If you have any more question post here.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    And as Biggie told you , your resume will sell as a hot cake, the only problem is if you say you dont know any of the process etc, people consider you as you dont know anything ( People are like that, we just cant help them)
  • akhil K
    akhil K
    As you told the end product of phase1 for Testing team is Functional specifications and usecases. ie converting BRS(business requirement specifications) to FRS (Functional requirement specifications) right..?? I had gone through FRS templates on net. I have got some idea. . thank you #-Link-Snipped-#

1 ) We can write test cases using FRS. But some people will ask about Scenario documents.
    can you explain it with example..??

2 ) I have gone through Test Plan templates. do 2 years experience testers involved in test planning.??
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    You need to understand the difference between Test Scenario and Test case,
    For example, you are asked to test Gmail login page which has username and password.
    Lets say that you have requirement specifying that your username should be of 6 - 20 digit length, should accept alphanumerics, special characters , will not accept @ etc etc, are all the validations on the username.

Then your typical Test scenario would be like this,

TS1 . Verify the values accepted by username field (a- using the boundary value analysis):
    (b- using Equivalence Class partitioning)
    (c- specific validations for special characters etc)

These come under test scenario.

when you talk about test case, then step by step process of achieving what you want to do in the scenario.
    like,
    Open Gmail.
    Enter 4 digits
    Verify error message
    etc etc..,

I am tagging #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Who involve in Test Plan preparation? This depends upon the company, team , BU , and moreover what all you generall need to put in the Test Plan.

In Test Plan I prepare, I generally have these details:
    1. Entry Criteria
    2. Exit Criteria
    (These comes under scope)
    3. Test Strategy (Includes types : Manual , Automation and Load)
    4. Test Scenarios
    5. Test Environments
    6. Deliverables.
  • akhil K
    akhil K
    any guidelines we need to follow for reporting bugs..??
    what does test summary report include..??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Lot of interesting information here. Can we have all this information compiled in the resources section? Let's say we pick up the most useful posts in this thread and copy them in a separate thread in resources section? 😀
  • akhil K
    akhil K
    I think it good idea.. Now I'm getting lot of questions as I'm going through these post..
    Its better if others too can involved in this.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Reporting bugs:
    General practice is anything which is not as expected is a bug. Always analyse the bug and gather the necessary information to prove it as it is not as expected.
    Necessary information to be included:
    1. The problem statement.
    2. Expected result.
    3. Actual result.
    4. Screenshot.
    5. Log files.

The above are the basic requirements to be attached while reporting a bug. There is something also called the severity and priority of the bug to be reported.

Test Summary report:
    This basic information included in this would be,

The serverity of the defect and the root cause of the defect summarizing in a tabular format.
    The action plan, and ways to eliminate defects using the root cause analysis.

Root cause will be like : code fix, environmental , brower related , version related, oversight , functional miss, usecase miss etc etc.. there are many categories for this.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There are a total of 5 caps. 3 Red and 2 White. And there are 3 boys, standing in a line one after the other. Each of the three are...
We all know that header files contain some predefined functions, yes thats exactly true. but we have to know how the program is present in the header files.... header files...
The idea of the project is to create a web application that serves as a help desk in a campus. Abstract: This is an application used to create a help...
The idea is to develop an application that will be used to manage stationary and maintain records about the same. Abstract: This project is aimed at developing a tool for...
I am studying various excerpts in this domain..found interest in OCR...it would be very helpful if someone would enlighten about some more application aspects in this domain..