OLDEST Skyscraper: Tower of Babel ?!

I was reading about Skyscrapers.
And someone mentioned the Tower of Babel to be OLDEST skyscraper, misallocation of resources after a boom.

According to Tower Of Babel Historical Context , the tower's height amounted to 8149 feet 6 inches. ๐Ÿ˜จ
Although the Tower of Bible never existed, it was created to reach Heaven and was a symbol of man's pride.

Does anyone have any idea about the Tower of Babel?

PS: I have not read the complete Wikipedia information. Correct me if I am wrong. ๐Ÿ˜›

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm already thinking about a dedicated section for Skyscrappers & Supertall buildings. I think defining the time-period would be crucial. I think in old ages, the Pyramids were the tallest.

I wonder why Pyramid like structures aren't adopted these days. Seem to be a solid structure with lot of room; but not as much as in regular cylindrical structured buildings.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    I'm already thinking about a dedicated section for Skyscrappers & Supertall buildings. I think defining the time-period would be crucial. I think in old ages, the Pyramids were the tallest.

I wonder why Pyramid like structures aren't adopted these days. Seem to be a solid structure with lot of room; but not as much as in regular cylindrical structured buildings.
    That is a Supercool Idea. Just do it. ๐Ÿ‘

There are tons of videos on YouTube related to these buildings, and you will be amazed to see the way they are built. Awestruck!
    These buildings / structures really fascinate me ๐Ÿ˜
  • Nachko
    Nachko
    The_Big_K
    The land price is way too high these days and the pyramid could not be considered as an example of optimal space usage ๐Ÿ˜€ But you're right - this shape somehow symbolizes the stability.

About the tower of Babel: I can not provide an additional information about it, but in my opinion we should stay close to the ground. Literally and metaphorically. That's why I am not a big fan of these "megastructures". Moreover even without the skyscrappers there are enough challenges for us, structural engineers.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, I guess it's the 'money' that's deciding the shapes of buildings these days than structural and civil engineering. The structural engineering consulting firm behind the upcoming 'Kingdom Tower' in Jeddah said that a mile high tower would be possible only if the owners don't mind opening their wallets.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I was looking for documentaries about the tower of babel on youtube, but couldn't find anything worthwhile.
    If anyone finds one, please post here.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Is there anyone who uses Internet but not Google?? For searching any thing on the web, the first site that comes to our mind is Google. Ever thought to have...
Social network is a place where there's a high chance of getting your purchase decisions influenced. However, a recent study showed that ( https://techcrunch.com/2012/01/12/social-networks-influence-shopping/ ) for 80% of the users;...
It seems like a common problem across 99% of the engineering colleges in India. The Head Of The Departments are absolutely clueless about the latest technologies & developments and yet,...
It was Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam who gave Indians the vision 2020. By the way, regular public is totally clueless about what vision 2020 is and how different India will...
Indian Government has finally 'said it'. The government says that if the popular search engine 'Google' and social networking website 'Facebook' do not remove objectionable content from their databases, they...