Now Your Android Phone Will Unlock Automatically In Your Hands Or Pocket

If you are one of those people who has to lock and unlock their smartphone tens of times a day and would love to have an automated solution for it, here's a new feature in Android OS running phones, that you got to love. Known as the 'on-body' detection mode, here's an update to Google's Android that can smartly lock and unlock your smartphone depending on where it is. It means that, if your phone is in contact with your body, it will automatically unlock and if it's just lying on the couch or a table, it will stay locked. This means the feature not only ensures the user's comfort, but also keeps your phone's data safe from an intruder's or thief's eyes.

The simple mechanism behind this feature lies in the fact that most smartphones today have an accelerometer fitted inside the body. Using it, this smart lock feature figures out when your device is in your hands and when it isn't, by determining if it is being continually moved. Now during the time the phone is your hands, it will stay unlocked and get locked only when you put it down. The thing to note here is that, if you pick it up again, you will need to manually unlock it and if the phone is handed over to someone when it is in the unlock mode in your hands, it will not lock on its own. The feature isn't able to recognise the owner, but only whether someone is holding it or not.

google-onbody-detection-android-smart-lock-mode google-on-body-detection-mode-unlock-device

Folks over at AndroidPolice have found that the new feature works on smartphones running Android's 5.0 or above version. The roll out seems to be a gradual one and if you are running the latest version of Google Play Services (7.0.97), it should soon reach your phone.

We believe that the feature is only for the user's convenience and not as a security option. Do let us know if you are seeing the On-Body detection mode in your phone's settings and have you started using it.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Looks super cool and innovative
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think it will be a bit troublesome too. Imagine a scenario where the phone gets unlocked inside your pocket and the touchscreen starts running random apps or dials calls while getting brushed against the fabric. I know I have received calls from friends many times when they didn't know it was being dialled on the touchscreen. Have reminded them to keep the phone on locked mode multiple times.
  • Coral Jain
    Coral Jain
    In that sense, if it detects the locomotion of the cellphones one has to keep himself away from wearing pants with loose pockets 😁. Not the best feature to implement in my opinion. Nonetheless, they should use capacitive sensing at the backcover as in touchscreen of a smartphone.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I would really like to know, how many people still live with the old habit of manually creating and editing Xorg.conf Most modern distros don't require that to do, but...
What do you do when you have access to all the personal information of hundreds of millions of people on the Internet, and you go by the name of 'Facebook'?...
i got a idea of a project which develop a mobile application that can find his/her vehicle in a building. For an example, a lot of people forget their vehicle...
Happy Birthday @Praveen-Kumar ! Have a rocking year ahead ! 😀 🎉
Instruments used to measure tool wear (cutting tools, crater wear) ?