New e Commerce Policy in India - Will Amazon and Flipkart Survive?

The new e Commerce Policy has been enforced in India on February 1, 2019. As expected, the big boys of the e-commerce have been seriously affected and now we've the news that Walmart, which invested billions of dollars into Flipkart is now likely to exit. The news is that Walmart sees no future for long-term profitability for Indian ecommerce startups. 

For once, I think the new ecommerce policy creates a level-playing field for all the players. Under the new policy -

1.  eCommerce companies will have to protect the User Data and cannot sell it to third parties for any reason.
  2. E-commerce marketplaces cannot influence the prices of the goods being sold. They will now have to sell products at par with prices offered by offline traders.
  3. There's a limit on products sold that aren't manufactured in India.
  4. Discounts are now regulated. 

Both Flipkart and Amazon gained popularity in India through discounted pricing. Books and several other products were deeply discounted on these portals and therefore both portals saw a tremendous response from consumers. 

Unfortunately, the new policy will now restrict these big ecommerce players from offering discounts. 

The big companies like Amazon and Flipkart have grown mostly because of discounted goods; and ease of convenience. I wonder with the new policy in place and the restrictions it brings on the inventory - do you think Flipkart and Amazon will survive? 

What do you think?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

WiFi 6 aka IEEE 802.11ax is coming and it matters a lot more than you'd think. I thought I'd start a discussion to talk about the newest WiFi standard and...
So to start out why on earth this was first put onto the system? Is this a real job offer here at this COMPANY OR JUST TO HELP ME WITH...
Hi,We are expanding our Services in the MEP field in USA and need any help and experience in this regard, firstly to clearly know the target audience for this kind...
I am a student from 2nd year. i have a mini project for my college project expo. i need abstract for fabrication of solar irrigation system and abstract for automatic...
Machine Design says: Spring are mechanical devices that store and apply kinetic energy. They’ve been around a long time and continue to play essential roles in a wide range of...