Need some advice on power adapter, and quickly!

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I could really use the opinion of someone who knows what they're talking about - sorry for asking here, but this is the only place I could find and I feel I can trust you guys judgement. If you could help I'd really appreciate it.

I recently bought a new monitor for my server from ebay - the only thing it didn't come with was the original power adapter, but I had a universal ac/dc adapter lying around which I assumed would work. Of course, the monitor arrived, and the adapter didn't work. FAIL. Well, it kind of did - the monitor would cycle power, turning on for a split second before turning off for 3-4, and then repeating the cycle indefinately.

Now, I know for certain that the output of my universal adapter matches that of the official one - 12V DC, 3A. The universal supply is unregulated, although I'm not sure if that makes a huge difference - I'm assuming it doesn't.

I don't know much about this area of electronics - but maybe you guys have some idea of what the power cycling problem could be indicative of (be it the adapter or a component of the monitor)? I'm trying to assertain whether it'd be worth forking out for the proper adapter or just admitting defeat and returning it - the thing only has a 7 day warranty, but I'd rather keep it as it was a bargain... would there be any other difference between my universal adapter and the official one that could make the difference between a working monitor and a serious problem like this?

Replies

• sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    hey fisrt of all make sure your monitor is fine,why dont ya try a sabilzer as its source,connect the adapter therr,then check,as for online purchase its always risky!!!
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    you can get assure of your stabilized monitor only when you see absolutely no Vibration on the screen ,due to frequency alterations.If you see the same problem persists even after you attach the Adapter module ,just check that the module has the marked safety standard on it along with the corresponding voltage regulation knob having the superscribed Range written on it.
  • chameleon789
    chameleon789
    I don't have a stabilizer at hand, unfortunately - I don't know anything about this apart from what I've learned from google, but you're saying that a stabilizer would make up for the fact the power adapter I'm using is unregulated?

So, having an unregulated adapter as opposed to an adapter with a voltage regulator could cause a problem like this..? If so, could buying a regulated adapter @ 12VDC 3A solve the problem? *Also (this question proves how little I know), would it be ok/wise/safe to use an adapter with a slightly higher amperage than 3A, say, 4.8A?
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    you can try it buddy, but still i wont suggest you for long time use..is ur monitor ok!!!
  • docel
    docel
    Hi!!
    1. Original OEM adapters are ,matched for Voltage and Current ratings of the equipment manufacturer. it may not be correct to use anything other than the OEM adapter.
    2. Other adapters available off the shelf only carry ratings on the panel!!!!! They may not supply the required power. ie., the printed ratings may be far from the required thing.
    3. Some Monitors reset if there is serious ripple on the DC line. This could happen due to poor regulation, underrated Transformer/switching devices, sub-standard components etc.,
    4. The Monitor seems like it is resetting itself due to insufficient Current on load and the resultant voltage drop.

This may prove to be disastrous to the monitor.

5. The power rating of the adapter/Power supply doesnt matter if it is greater then the needed value. Infact , it is desirable that it is over-rated.

Meaning: you can use even a 100A adapter provided the Voltage is 12v and does NOT vary greater than +/- 5%.
    The load decides the current at the specified Voltage and will draw just that much. The maximum current rating does not matter here; only the minimum does !!

Let me know the Monitor specs - model no. manuf. etc.,........

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi

😁 Hi i am gajender yadav an civil engg. i am very happy 😁to be a part of. I complete my Diploma in 2004 from Rohtak (Vaish collage). now i...
Hi Friends, First of all-I m sorry if this thread is posted in the wrong section. I need your suggestions, so please do help me. i had just entered into...
Hiii all, How do we design a Polar NRZ Encoder with detail circuit? Thank you.
Hmm. Well, first of all, I think the title of the post IS a debate topic. I'll refrain myself from posting an introduction to the topic. Feel free to comment...
Okay, I'd like to know where in the world would you like to see next CE Meet happen. No, don't name your dream destination - but a place where you...