Need information about electrical wire colour coding

I am installing a light fixture. It has a live and neutral wire (blue and brown). Then, on opposite end of wires, it has a black and red (possibly the ground) wires which have their ends resting on two copper mounds. My ceiling has a ground and the two live wires (black and white). Before connecting the wires, would the blue or brown wire connect to the existing black or white wire? What do I do with the "extra" ground wire since the light doesn't come with the "green/yellow ground wire" described in the instructions? I think the instructions are for a different model of lighting. Thanks you.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Generally the red wire is the ‘live’ high voltage line and the black the neutral. If only two wires are available it means that there is no ground connection provided.

You should be alright connecting the black to black and white to red. Just insulate th enedof the yellow-green groundwire end and let it be.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I got 82.36% in 10th, 61.86% in 12th ,in first year of E&TC engineering i got 61.57% also in 2nd year of engineering i got 58%.Now i am in last...
I recently read the news that the Government of India is talking to the telecom network providers on ways to block popular social media like Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter etc. in...
while  try to host my site i faced this issue,can anyone tell me what be the reason
A few years back I could clearly see the blue outline of the Nandi Hills (55 kms away) when I just looked to my left through the 11th floor window...
Is there is any way to control carbon monoxide instead of using charcoal. Im doing this as project - To overcome carbon monoxide and nitric oxide