Need help removing a T9 screw please!

Hi,

I have a small Torx screw (T9) sitting on an electronic device, so I can't simply cut it off. No screwdriver can grip anymore and I really need that screw to disappear. I've heard of all kinds of screw removing gadgets (Grabit, Power Grip 2000 etc.), but noone can tell me if the removal tools work on such a small T9 screw. Does anybody know for sure, what could help me? A link would be nice, so I can look at the product right away.

Thanks and greetings

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Some of those devises do, depends on the screw. other meathods are using a dremel cutting wheel to cut a slot for a flathead or using a drill bit to drill it out. Was a non-t9 bit used previously? being sure to use the correct bit and torque will help eliminate head stripping.
  • geococeo
    geococeo
    i am a mechanic and have to deal with this problem on the daily
    also i work on toys and know the difficulty of screws in small places
    attached to fragile electronics
    best way i can see if none of those fancy removing tools work which most do not.
    get a very sharp drill bit which is just smaller than the diameter of the screw(not the head) drill squarely down through the screws center. once youve reached the bottom all that will be left is the threads of the screw in its cooresponding threads. if you did not damage the "nut" (female threaded insert) that the screw goes in then you can pick what remains out of there and retap(you must buy the exact size tap of the screw you are trying to remove).
    if you did damaged that section which is very likely then you have the option of oversizing the hole and buying a heli coil set which replaces the original threads after an oversize bit makes room.
    finding a heli coil set in that size may be tricky but they are out there
    good luck
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    You should have gotten a T9 screwdriver 😀 I think they are under $4.

Well, if the screw is dispensable, you can try super gluing or epoxy something (T shaped) on top of the head of the screw and twist it once its stuck together.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, ___ a)19 b)21 c)23 d)25 How can I start with such problems? Please give me a general idea to solve such questions.
Hi all, If i have a problem of changing: d^2 (k^1/2)/ dx^2 + d^2(k^1/2)/dx^2 = 0 to d^2 (phi)/ dx^2 + d^2(phi)/dx^2 = 0 and given that T = k^1/2*phi...
hello guys i m new on this site and looking for help , well i m student of mechanical engineering and i want help from u guys actually i have...
Hi all, Just finished this book. It's "Banker to the poor: The story of the grameen bank". Ever heard of it? It's by Muhammad Yunus, winner of the 2006 nobel...
Hi Everyone, I want the Difference between finalize method and Finally method in .NET and when exactly the garbage collector calls these methods. What does Dispose method does.