NASA Testing Modified Spacesuit For Asteroid Mission

NASA has started testing a modified version of its existing pumpkin-orange Advanced Crew Escape System at the Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory near the agency's Johnson Space Center in Houston. NASA had decided to build a new version of this spacesuit considering the needs of future space missions one of which involves spacewalking on an asteroid in 2025. The tests are being conducted underwater to simulate the conditions of space. The tests will help the engineers to find out ways to improve the mobility of the spacesuit by implementing enhanced gloves and elbow joints. NASA states that most of the modifications have been done on the innards of the spacesuit keeping the outer design intact.

NASA

These spacesuits will be used on the Orion spacecraft. NASA currently uses the white Extravehicular Mobility Unit spacesuits for spacewalks on the International Space Station. But with this spacesuit NASA will be attempting to revive its old tradition of using just one spacesuit for inside and outside the spacecraft. NASA’s ambitious asteroid project involves capturing an asteroid and bringing it to a stable orbit around the moon and investigating it. NASA has requested a $105 million budget for this mission from the federal government in its annual budget request for the year 2014. For now though you can have a look at the tests being conducted in the video below.

Source: NASA testing lighter, more mobile spacesuits for asteroid-wrangling mission - The Verge

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google has bought Boston Dynamics - the company famous for their 4-legged robots. The news comes just a few days after the update that Google's Android man, Andy Rubin was...
hello friends! i need some ideas abt my prjt (embeded systems),also i need various applications that uses multi node processing,gsm or wifi and beagle boards.
When in doubt, a lot of people would tell you that you should talk to yourself. That's what exactly Introspection is. Talking to yourself. Everybody from every phase of your...
i planned to do my BE final year project In cloud computing....plz suggest me some better projects... and what are the technical skills required for cloud computing...
Here is some chemistry for the Christmas season; a periodic table for various spirits. Mix and match. Periodicity of consumption not included. Quote: Science is a critical part of the...