Must Read: How elections are won [Shocker Inside]

The following post is a summary of the analysis done by #-Link-Snipped-# and I'm sharing it here because it's a hell LOT more interesting than you'd think. You'll soon discover that even if the majority of people in India favor one party, it may not come to power! Interesting? Read on!

Thanks to our copy-pasted way of conducting elections based on British Electorate. The name of the concept is "First Past the Post". Here's an example-

Let's say the total population of India is 1,00,00 and there are only three states in India. Each state representing ONE seat in Lok Sabha
  1. State A : Total Population: 40,000
  2. State B: Total Population: 40,000
  3. State C: Total Population: 20,000
There are only two parties in India: Congress & BJP. In order to form the government, the winning party must win 2/3 of the total seats.

In the elections:-

State A : 36,000 people vote for BJP, and BJP Wins.
State B: 22,000 people vote for Congress: Congress Wins.
State C: 14,000 People vote for Congress: Congress Wins.

Out of 100,000:
  • Number of people voted for BJP: 36,000+18,000+6,000 = 60,000 (60% of total population)
  • Number of people voted for Congress: 4,000+22,000+14,000 = 40,000 (40% of total population)
In spite of 60% of total population favoring the BJP, it's the Congress gets to form the government!

That's the reason Congress won 2004 elections despite BJP's better performance. What do you say?

Replies

• Dhananjay Harkare
    Dhananjay Harkare
    Yes [HASHTAG]#truestory[/HASHTAG]. It's not about number of votes, it's about number of seats won. This time, with NaMo leaving no stone unturned and Congress, though not much favored also trying to give best shot and Arvind Kejriwal planning to divert voters to AAP, the picture is much interesting. Let's wait for May 16.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I support the system and what is there to point out as mistake?
    The party with number of seats should definitely form the government .In the above prescribed case, congress had managed to win in two states i.e they had nearly satisfied or did good works in two states which i think is enough to select a PM.
    I accept that the majority of people is important but do you have a better system to select a PM ?
    Quality and consiatency is important over quantity.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sorry for my past post.
    Depth in thought changes my view.
    If BJP gad been selected it is the voice of 60%of population and it sounds a insight view of the system
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - the point of the post is to highlight the importance of number of people in any state or constituency. I personally do not believe that democracy works (the way it's supposed to work); but destroying the 'party' culture would be a way forward. In the current system, it'll always be some party that will get majority.

So even if the candidate elected with majority may have to sit in the opposition (despite all his/her good work), because the party itself couldn't get sufficient candidates to emerge as the single largest party.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I agree party system has its issues, but do we have anything better? I mean, ideally party system is great, gives a chance to people of same ideology to come together. If everyone is going independent it might result is all chaos, in my view, that would be more harmful. May be, with few improvements we can make it better, but removing it doesn't sound like the wise thing to do.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    So even if the candidate elected with majority may have to sit in the opposition (despite all his/her good work),
    Probably the idea of democracy/government is misunderstood with idea of party or alliance.
    If candidate wins, he has all the rights to support either his party or their opposite one without changing party.That's the beauty here, when a candidate of PM goes to president and says I have this number of singed MP's who are agreed to make me PM and form the govt.
    (see, even if kejriwal didn't had the majority and fought election opposing all the action of former Delhi govt. he succeeded to get sign from reaming number of MLA's and formed govt. It's other debate , after that he became AK49 and runaway😘)

After forming govt. it's MP decision whether they support bill, decide how govt. should work. If govt. not functioning as per majority of MP, they can propose parliament to ask PM to show his/her power.

Where is problem now, functioning of govt. now being looked as a ruling alliance and opposition alliance. and any MP of either side has to support their alliance ideology , irrespective of their individual decision. Otherwise they have fear of being expelled out from the party but even if they expelled out they will remain the MP.
    As, we see in Telangana bill, congress MP were not in support of the bill and seven of them expelled out from party. but they are still MP.

Am I clear here? 👀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Earlier this week, features of Galaxy S5 mini were leaked and now images of Galaxy S5 Zoom have surfaced online. According to SimpleSite, the Galaxy S5 Zoom will be a...
Frankenspiel submitted a new project: Frankenspiel FS-X - The Bluetooth speaker that can! Neil Young’s PonoMusic Kickstarter launch brought a spotlight onto the issue of sound quality. Now, Frankenspiel, an...
MTS India has come up with a new mid-budget phone for Indian consumers with MTS Blaze 4.5 - an Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 running smartphone that features Dual SIM (GSM...
The mobile industry is booming with a new messaging app every other day. Continuing with the trend, Open Garden introduces a new app called “FIRECHAT”. The specialty of this app...
Do you have a better answer? Answer it and win a free entry to the Crazy Engineers Club... 😁 😁 😁 😁