Microsoft Buys SwiftKey In A $250M Deal To Further Its New Mobile Strategy

In a very swift move, the US tech giant Microsoft has announced the acquisition of the firm SwiftKey known for its advanced, AI-powered smart prediction technology that makes typing easier. The UK-based company which got sold to Microsoft for about $250 million, is maker of predictive keyboard app which has been installed on hundreds of millions of smartphones. For Microsoft, the purchase is its latest step in their plan to regain a strong foothold in mobile markets by acquiring popular productivity apps.

swiftkey-microsoft-acquisition
Microsoft reiterates its position by saying that this is a great example of Microsoft’s commitment to bringing its software and services to all platforms and that they will continue to develop SwiftKey’s market-leading keyboard apps for Android and iOS as well as explore scenarios for the integration of the core technology across the breadth of Microsoft’s product and services portfolio.

swiftkey-microsoft

SwiftKey’s predictive keyboard app suggests the next word a user is about to type based on analysis of their writing style. The company says its technology learns slang, nicknames and even the emojis its users prefer. Microsoft in due time plans to integrate SwiftKey’s technology with its own Word Flow technology for Windows.

The acquisition in no way would affect its service and will continue to function on both iOS and Android as before for free, maintained SwiftKey Founders. The acquisition demonstrates Microsoft’s desire to bring key apps and technologies to platforms from Windows to Android to iOS.

swiftkey-founders-reynolds-medlock
SwiftKey Founders - Jon Reynolds and Dr. Ben Medlock​

Installed on more than 300 million devices, SwiftKey is also known for being one of the key components among the computer software installed on Prof. Stephen Hawking's wheelchair. The company has developed a special language model to assist Professor Hawking in speaking and writing his lectures and articles.

With the newly cracked deal, Microsoft is looking to build up a range of productivity software to be used on their wide range of devices. Swiftkey’s team will join Microsoft Research to work under the division’s chief Harry Shum.

What are your thoughts about Microsoft's SwiftKey acquisition? Share with us in comments below.

Source: Microsoft acquires SwiftKey in support of re-inventing productivity ambition - The Official Microsoft Blog | #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Job well done by Swiftkey founders. AFAIK, it only works on English keyboards.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    If I am not wrong, this is the biggest offline app acquisition👀
    Better it will not be another Nokia ☕
  • Anandkar Sanket
    Anandkar Sanket
    best app

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Anybody please help me to understand the process details of forming Shearing Force Diagram and Bending Moment Diagram on supported beams.
please Suggest me some FPGA projects on the basis of applications
Indian ecommerce is an interesting industry. It's skyrocketed in the recent times, with no profit making strategy and by burning investor's money. Yeah - almost all of the e commerce...
There are two main differences between Kris Kowal's Q and $q: 1. $q is integrated with the $rootScope.Scope Scope model observation mechanism in angular, which means faster propagation of resolution...
Friends, i want to go in communication sector and i choose E&TC engineering. its right or wrong give please advice