Microprocessors: Can we do 16 bit multiplication on 8 bit processor?

Can we do 16 bit multiplication on 8 bit microprocessor ?

Replies

• Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Re: Microprocessors

How it can be possible.
    Think if it is possible then why we make 16-bit and 32-bit microprocessor.
  • rishi0922
    rishi0922
    Re: Microprocessors

Hey mohit i have not asked it in a fun . I have done 16 bit multiplication on 8 bit MP that's why i am asking it that how it is possible and why it is possible ?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Ya it's possible.

8 bit, 16 bit etc.. it just says how many bits the microprocessor can process at a time.
    For an 8 bit processor, it can only process 8 bits simultaneously. A 16 bit MP can process 16 bits at a time..

But, multiplication is nothing but repeated addition, right? So, even with 8 bit processor, we can do 16 bit multiplication.

@Mohit: we make 16 bit and 32 bit processors because, they are faster. You can definitely do 32 bit multiplication in a 8 bit processor.
    But it will take a lot more time than it does in a 32 bit processor. That's why!!
  • rishi0922
    rishi0922
    Thanks silverscorpion.....this explanation only i wanted..../
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    @silverscorpion You mean to say that if we want to do a 16-bit multiplication on a 8-bit microprocessor we need two processes(8-bit multiplication and again 8-bit multiplication).
  • rishi0922
    rishi0922
    No mohit not like that, in case of 16 bit multiplication we give two 8 bit inputs in the address simultaneously in 8 bit MP because it can process only 8 bit at a particular time so by giving two 8 bits simultaneously it can process both simultaneously for 16 bit multiplication.......
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Thanks for correcting me rishi..!!
    Keep up your nice work..!!
  • medeepak
    medeepak
    we can do it
    definitely yes
    but it will not be time efficient
  • arjun poduval
    arjun poduval
    It is possible to do it... you can perform multiplication of 16 bit numbers on a 8085 or other 8-bit processors..
    feed the values separately as two 8-bit values..
    But you definitely have certain constrains regarding the time and complexity...
  • jensiline
    jensiline
    16 bit multiplication is not possible in 8085 because it's an 8 bit processor.If we multiply 16*16 bit we got a result as 32 bit.
    But we can do 16 bit addition in 8085
  • rishi0922
    rishi0922
    @jensiline:
    I wan't to correct you here,
    in case of 16 bit multiplication suppose we take following inputs...

address: 4107 4108 410A 410B
    data: 02 04 03 01

then we get the output as follows...

address: 4150 4152
    data: 06 04

here 4150 & 4152 is the output address..

Hence, by this example we came to know that all the 4 inputs given are 8 bit and we are saying this as a 16 bit multiplication because two 8 bit inputs are getting multiplied.
    So we can see here clearly that the inputs of 4107 and 410A are getting multiplies, same for 4108 and 410B....

I hope you can get something from this example, if you are having any question regarding this then feel free to ask .
  • liveaspankaj
    liveaspankaj
    Yes obviously.

Think like this, we use a computer with a 32 bit processor but we are able to do very huge calculations. Its just about the steps.

But then what steps?
    Its like when we learn multiplication we learn tables from 2 to 10 and then we are about to do multiplication of almost anysize depending on how much time we have.
    So, in this case our brain becomes a 1 digit multiplier, and we do 1 digit multiplications and some additions on the way and multiply even 5 digit numbers.

We do the same for processors, microcontrollers or any computer.

Enjoy!

Keep Smiling 😀
    Pankaj

TechnologyAhead.com
    Register for Workshop and Trainings in Microcontroller, VLSI, and Robotics.
    TechnologyAhead.com

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

in North America there are few places where 110 volt power is standard for residential and many commercial users. The rest of the world seems to have settled on 220...
Designed to help optimize your PC for smoother, more responsive game play in the latest PC games with the touch of a button, Game Booster helps achieve the performance edge...
Source: Email from ThoughtWorks - After the overwhelming success of first 'vodQA' we bring you the next 'vodQA - THE TESTING SPIRIT!' - a platform for our peers in the...
CEans, On November 26[sup]th[/sup] 2010, CE will celebrate completion of 5 glorious years on the Internet. The plan is to make CE's 5th Birthday grand! Contribute how can we all...
Hello friend's, I want to know what is the reason that AMD(more speedy then INTEL) processors ejects more heat then INTEL(less speedy then AMD). Is AMD uses more SRAM(generate more...