Metal Organic Frameworks (MOF) To Make Hydrogen Fuel A Reality

Hydrogen powered cars could soon become a reality as a group of researchers have discovered that metal organic frameworks aka MOF can increase the capacity of hydrogen in a cylinder. Complete report: #-Link-Snipped-#

I'm wondering what MOFs are and how do they aid in making hydrogen fuel a possibility in future transportation? Can we build a discussion around it? Would definitely be interesting.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Generally hydrogen can be stored by adsorption on a suitable surface. The adsobed hydrogen can be considered as a liquid, which dramatically increases the quantity of hydrogen stored in a given volume at reasonable pressures. Since adsorption is a physical process not much energy is lost in storage and discharge.
    One obviously needs as lrge an area as possible to increase total holding capacity. MOF can be thought of as a 3D network of metal ion clusters on which Hydrogen can physisorb. These clusters are held in a 3D structure by organic links.
    I understand that for automotive applications the idea is to formulate these structures to store hydrogen at well below 100 bar and near room temperatures.

This can be a mega buck spinner. Not much is published on how far work has progressed. At least not to my knowledge.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's quite interesting! So I understand, the MOF does the job without needing extra energy. It enables more hydrogen to be stored in cylinder.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    That's quite interesting! So I understand, the MOF does the job without needing extra energy. It enables more hydrogen to be stored in cylinder.
    You hit the spot. If hydrogen is stored as compressed gas the extra energy spent in compressing it is lost.
    However, as of now as the Engineer link says, it needs a temperature of 77degK (Near the absolute zero CE is so worked up about) to achieve any meaningful result. They will get there yet.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i want to apply for a patent but i do not have physical model of my idea. Can i apply for patent with just theortical model. I really need to...
A research lead by Gil Yosipovitch, a man described as the "Godfather of itch", on which itch is best for scratching shows that scratching an ankle is hard to beat....
How about a thermal battery that stores cold? https://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-5...in-india/?part=rss&subj=latest-news&tag=title
Tiny three legged bots from Harvard: https://www.gizmag.com/harvard-licenses-kilobot-technology/20591/
can any1 tell me where can I avail online SCADA learning course ???