memory segments

what are memory segments and segment regiter?
explain role of both in a computer system?
let if i am working on word file then processor perform what activties ..i mean how data moves btween register ,memory segments ,ram and processor during exection of progam.

plz help me to understand the function of processor in execuion a program

thanx

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I don't know much about this concept but i can give you start...you can refer ..Book written by galvin on operating system
    Ok
    so Whenever you write a program ..it is to be stored somewhere in memory
    so memory segments are used to store the code in it..overall we can say
    the purpose is to store code,data,stack etc in different parts of memory.... but there should be some way to specify the starting
    address of each such segments.....so in short what i want to convey is"segment registers hold the
    starting address of these segment"
    I hope this will help you...
    Please feel free to corect me
  • qaisarpk1
    qaisarpk1
    thanx this help me lot to understand MP architecture
  • qaisarpk1
    qaisarpk1
    if a system has 32bit address bus ,the addressable memory space is 4 GB
    is it mean that if i install RAM more then 4GB ,the microprocessor can not address RAM addresses above 4GB
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Yes upto which i know ..we can with help of segmentation...but not sure...about it

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In the given figure, initially switch is closed. On opening the switch the charge that will flow through the battery will be
This coming summer my 4th sem will be over...so i want myself to get involved in some kind of training...how will i come to know about training taking place ?
Today I was just surfing on internet ....So what i got is really amazing and have never heard about these before ..I would like to share it with you Webcam...
Hi guys..! Unfortunately my brother deleted notepad.exe file. So, Now in my system, am not able to open my notepad files directly. I am opening through wordpad. And I cant...
The current hot debate going on in the entertainment space is that whether the movie 3 Idiots is based on Chetan Bhagat's bastseller Five Point Someone? Now CEans who have...