KBC, 404 Error Question & Everybody's Going Insane!

While I don't follow KBC (Kaun Banega Crorepati, a popular Indian TV show on the lines of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire); there was an 'easy' question that an engineering M.Tech student could not answer. The question was what does 404 error stand for - and the correct answer is 'Page Not Found'.

The M.Tech student could not answer it - and people are going insane that an M.Tech student could not answer such a simple question.

I'm looking for your opinion on this. Not knowing HTTP Status Codes is not a sin, even if you are an M.Tech student.

If anyone's at fault then it's the way engineering is taught that never encourages students to look beyond the textbooks.

Last year, we visited a very reputed engineering college and asked a class of computer science students - how many of them have worked on their own project outside of syllabus. No hand went up.

Replies

• manishks
    manishks
    Well off course if you are a computer science student, this might seem to be a very easy question.

I have done engineering from a very ordinary engineering college. I was not in an IIT or NIT. But still I know that this much is expected from a CSE student at least. But, sometimes we forget to pay attention to these little details and focus on so called bigger things.

I am not sure if this girl was from CS background. If yes, she would have learnt a lesson of lifetime that she needs to focus on basics. If no, its completely fine. Even managers of big companies might not be knowing this.
    I doubt people pay attention to status codes. And I doubt if they know that these codes are HTTP status codes.
  • Amol Agarwal
    Amol Agarwal
    I think the problem here is lack of career counselling. Engineering has become a default for most science students. Actually we never explore other avenues and even those who do and find their passion hardly pursue it, whatever be the reason. The negative opinion towards starting a business is also harming such that job seekers far outnumber job givers. And the government's role is zero in enhancing quality of education, In my college for instance, 60% teaching posts are vacant despite being a reputed college of Rajasthan govt. All they do is hire guest faculty who teaches so good that nobody wants to attend their lectures but we are forced to sit. Our HOD says be present in the class just for the sake of attendance..can you believe it? But this is the harsh truth my friends..
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If anyone's at fault then it's the way engineering is taught that never encourages students to look beyond the textbooks.
    I would blame to student. If anyone complaining in graduation that they are not being taught well. Either you are not doing justice to the field you are in, or, just get into the college who can force you to study.
    After working in software industry I don't find, syllabus is bad. They are adequate, it just student never applied in practical.
    Yeah, teaching is bad, grading system is bad but finally a graduate student is on his own to explore and study and gain knowledge. We as graduate student just find the way to get good enough mark find that graduation goal is fulfilled.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Anyone who are interested to work for government can look over this! RITES Ltd., a Government of India Enterprise was established in 1974, under the aegis of Indian Railways. RITES...
Gone are the days when you could get country-specific results just by punching in country code top level domain names (ccTLD) such as [google.ng for Nigeria] or [google.com.br for Brazil]...
The leaderboard for today's quiz themed 'Current Affairs' is as follows. Congratulations to Sree Lekha 😀 We look forward to hearing from all our quiz participants about their experience of...
Outmaneuvering the Security Threats of Tomorrow
In a breakthrough research update, a team of researchers at ETH Zurich have succeeded in generating the world's shortest laser pulse with a duration of only 43 attoseconds. This means...