Is there a succession crisis in engineering in India?

A generation of experienced engineers are approaching retirement in the UK without suitable people to replace them. I feel that the situation is not far better in India and probably other countries?
Is this true? If so, is it a matter of concern? How then, to tackle it?

Replies

• Gurjap
    Gurjap
    well, I don't know about that. Then again I am not a professional myself. Why do you think there aren't enough engineers?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Gurjap
    well, I don't know about that. Then again I am not a professional myself. Why do you think there aren't enough engineers?
    There are enough engineers. But not with hands on engineering experience at middle level to take over from the oldies, who were all more or less multidisciplinary. The problem will become worse with many of the current crop of engineers, which as K points out repeatedly, has to do with the kind of engineering education prevailing in the country.
    I never generalize. However, burying the head in the sand hoping the problem will go away is no solution.
    A personal story:
    A major head hunting firm called me up fro Delhi yesterday asking if I was available to head an R&D activity. Even after I told him that I was 73, he went on and on about how difficult it was to find suitable multidisciplinary persons. He would not let on how he got my personal direct phone number, which is not listed. I sent him a couple of names of younger people.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I guess we're talking about Baby Boomer. From what I see and experience; we're going to face serious problems in coming days. I however think it's not about education, but more about experience. For example when Ratan Tata retires; he's going to have heck of a time finding his replacement (he did, but time will tell how his successor performs).

I'd agree with #-Link-Snipped-# that there aren't many multidisciplinary persons available. Add to that the 'reservations' we have in India which is going to add to the problem. I'm tempted to share a real-life story; but can't do it. Those without the required experience are going to head large government organizations and I'm sure it's going the Titanic way.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Well, I still can't relate. I hear what you are saying about being multidisciplinary, but I've been told this is the "age of specialization".

And why isn't the middle crop ready to take the baton from the old guard? I would suppose the newly-old people would have taught the now-middle aged ones what they know by now. Am I wrong, or just missing something?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I did basic searches on Google but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I'd appreciate if you could give me pointers to relevant sources. Here's what I'm trying to do:-...
My full name is Tsion Getachew Beka.i live in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia).i'm fourth year ECE (communication stream)student in Addis Ababa university institute of technology.i like reading,watching movies,chatting with friends &...
Engineers are considered to be doers and not talkers. The best they can manage is to sketch something and use monosyllabic jargon in talking to others of the ilk. But...
Civil engineering projects have now become major mechanical engineering marvels. Boring a 7.1 m diameter tunnel is mind boggling. We should take pride that engineers can do such tasks. https://www.theengineer.co.uk/1012220.article?cmpid=TE01
Yesterday the day which was most saddest day in my college life. . My 8th sem classes got over. . Going to miss my class rooms, laboratories, mass bunks, group...