Is MiFi the future of Wireless Internet?

A short description of MiFi:

MiFis are small gadgets that have no need of being plugged into anything and work similar to wireless routers. MiFis connect to a cellular carrier's data network. We have to charge their batteries and they provide a Wi-Fi Signal to nearby gadgets to gain access to the internet.
MiFis were first introduced in U.S. in May 2009 by Novatel Wireless, and Novatel owns a registered trademark on the "MiFi" brand name in the U.S.
They are more economical & telecom companies are rapidly improving the speeds of their networks.

But some people believe MiFis are just a passing fashion. And some say they have security issues. Once every device can have a cellular chip in it, why would we need an extra gadget to carry around?

Share your opinion.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Still not clear about the MiFi concept. However, I don't see any need for MiFi, with 4G technology being developed for the masses at a very rapid pace. I heard that Motorola has already tested 4G with over 100 mbps speeds in Japan few months ago.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hayden 5 Media and Bluewater Productions team up to create the animated film based off the comic book for Mark Zuckerburg: Creator of Facebook. "When we found out that Bluewater...
Project Idea: I think project idea could be incredibly useful if developed by someone from our community. I'm talking about developing a service that will accept a photograph; analyze it...
This concept has been developed, by Bose Audio (not sure though), but I think there's still lot of scope for improvement. The idea is to develop earphone that will cancel...
Deliver Seminar Effectively: One of the important tasks in any engineering student's life is to deliver a seminar on a topic or project. The seminars are useful in presenting newer...
Let us first decide aim of this project 1:-App will consists of a Quiz which which will calculate the passion of individuals towards Engineering on basis of his answer and...