Is Japanese similar to Chinese?

This is a question that you are most frequently asked when you are a student of Japanese Language. People would randomly ask you to translate anything from their Chinese product user manual to the Menu Card in the Chinese Restaurant.

But the truth is, in terms of modern Japanese, the similarities between Japanese and Chinese is only in appearance and is analogous to English and Latin. Just as English have root words from latin and utilizes the roman alphabet, the Japanese borrow the Chinese writing system but kept both the Japanese and the Chinese pronunciation.

You may have heard that there are at least two ways to pronounce a Japanese word; for example mount Fuji in Japanese is refer to as Fuji-yama, but also Fuji-san. This is because ,-yama and -san are the same written character , but yama is the Japanese pronunciation, and san is the Chinese.

But while the Japanese borrowed the writing system from the Chinese, they did not borrow the grammar. In other words, they did not translate but transliterate. Up till around the 14th, being able to read Chinese was a requirement for an educated Japanese aristocrat, just as French was the language of the European aristocracy.

It's good to note that: A Japanese person may have a slight advantage with reading Chinese. But in terms of speaking, both would find it very difficult because of the differences in phoneme and grammar.

I would say Korean and Japanese are more similar because of the grammar structure.

So, now you can snap with a solid answer to the age old question: Isn't Japanese same as Chinese? 😉

My knowledge might be limited. But this is all I know.

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Yes.

Also, I believe Chinese only has Kanji like characters. I think they don't have Hiragana and Katakana in Chinese.. I'm not sure though..
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Yes you are correct. Chinese language has Kanji like characters. And the "Hiragana" and "Katakana" script was invented by the Japanese.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi!😁 I am someone who have just starting to step into the real world. And for people like me, exploring everything is the only way to make you survive in...
hello friend's Just completed a program for a digital watch in java...Check out this code. import java.awt.*; import java.applet.*; /**/ public class kk extends Applet implements Runnable...
We often see petrol bunks carrying the sign, "Please switch offf your mobile phones".. How come the concept of EM waves pose a threat to petrol? 😕
I was wondering what all problems can be faced in boilers in biomass plants which use rice straw as primary fuel. As I am not sure of the chemical reactions(read...
The official website of CAT (Common Admission Test) has been hacked. If you try visiting the site using Firefox web browser; you will see the following error message - "Reported...