Is it okay to bring Mammoths back to life?

Mammoths, the animal that had its time on the Earth about 10,000 years ago; exists in books and boy, we do have a DNA sample with us. That DNA sample can be used to bring the Mammoth back to life; and that's what talented researchers at the Stanford University want to do. The biggest push to their efforts is the fresh funding from billionaire Peter Thiel, who infused $100K into the project. Details: #-Link-Snipped-#

I've absolutely no doubt that the scientists will succeed in their efforts and we'll bring back the wooly Mammoths back to Earth again a la Jurassic Park. Perhaps, someone will also work on turning what we saw in Jurassic Park into reality. The point of this debate is to find out what our fellow engineers think about reverse engineering the nature.

The nature wanted the Mammoths to go extinct and it did. But humans are now going against nature, like they always have, and doing something that's 'maybe' not meant to be.

I look forward to your views and opinions.

#-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Woolly mammoths co existed with humans earlier. It is possible that their extinction was to some extent attributable to humans. (Hunting, habitat destruction and such).
    Even if they are resurrected, it is highly unlikely they survive in the present conditions. Nothing much could be gained by studying them.
    Lot of effort and funds will be needed to bring to life even one of these. They were not too different in size from existing elephants.
    I feel that such resurrections are a waste.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everyone, I wanna build my own 2D table to draw a circle. But i am getting straight line please help me.
Huawei has launched a new smartphone device Honor Holly 3 in India. The made-in-India smartphone sports a 5.5-inch HD IPS display (1280 × 720 pixels) with 74.5 per cent screen-to-body...
Google is reportedly working on a novel data saver mobile application for Android to help users manage and block unwanted data used by their devices. The App called Triangle is...
With the accelerated industrial progress of our modern world comes the bane of disposal of environmentally harmful wastes as synthetic dye pollutants, released at a rate of nearly 300,000 tonnes...
Chinese manufacturer Meizu has come up with a new ‘A series’ lineup of budget-centric smartphones. Newly launched A5 is the pioneer member of the series. The device listed on company’s...