Is anybody getting nervous about where AI (artificial intelligence) is heading?

I don’t know if we should be concerned about where AI is heading, however, I think it is something to consider extensively before we live to regret our invention of this incredible technology. Do we really want machines to be able to think for themselves? If they were able to, I believe they would be very confused about the human race’s lack of logic and their confusion may not be conducive to our well-being. Wouldn’t it be ironic to see some of our more creative movie themes come to life. Something to ponder.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes, I am. Right now, our most advanced computing system have the thinking power of a drunk monkey; but by the end of century, even if they get closer to being a monkey - they might cause menace. However, the future likes in the hands of engineers and scientists who are developing the artificial intelligence.

I'm concerned but not worried.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, even if engineers and scientists don't intend to be slaves to the AI they create, whats stopping the powers that be to weaponize AI robots even more? Its quite clear research in AI is spearheaded by the defence industry. If we were to have a positive and united ethos the throughout the development of AI, then we can worry less about the fate of humanity.
  • Elliprof3
    Elliprof3
    I find the area of AI incredible, exciting and scary. Don't get me wrong, I think our achievement with modern technology the most important tool we have as a species. It has allowed us to exchange ideas and collaborate on a world wide scale.
    But we must try to stay in control of it, if that is at all possible. Otherwise, we had better be prepared for the ramifications of our creation. We must also be able to recognize them as another intelligent species, thus allowing them basic rights.
    Is that something that we would be capable of?
  • vinod12345madhu
    vinod12345madhu
    i dont think AI will take over the world because you cant really put emotions into a robot and if we do we have to keep writing programs for years and keep them updating about what to laugh and what not to. it will only work till a certain limt atleast till our generation survives

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This survey is only for Americans! We need help! We are a group of students from Denmark, and we're making a website as a schoolproject. Our task is to analyse...
Hi, I'm Rahul Anand from Kerala, India. Currently doing my Computer Science and Engineering course, the fourth year. I'm interested in programming, designing, blogging and reading. I blog here and...
Campus recruitment are on the upsurge. Lots of final year students are discussing & asking questions about Infosys recruitment process. Can anybody share with us about the the latest Infosys...
1. Explain briefly the various planning surveys to be carried out for planning a highway system for a region. 2. What are the recommendations of Jaykar Cmmittee regarding the road...
TCS is hiring in full swing and visiting campuses for hiring candidates in December - January. Those who are looking for detailed recruitment procedure - here's it: To be taken...