Is a Hybrid Electric Aircraft possible? - Boeing's SUGAR Volt

The concept of developing a hybrid electric aircraft, is it a feasible option?
We can see that there are obvious drawbacks in carrying heavy batteries as a power source on long-distance flights.
So, NASA asked a Boeing-led team to explore the possibilities of a hybrid electric aircraft.
Boeing calls the project the Subsonic Ultra-Green Aircraft Research aircraft, or SUGAR Volt.
Boeing engineers targeted 2030-2050 as the timeframe that could see such an aircraft built and target a 70-percent improvement in fuel burn as a primary outcome. Along with powerplant innovations, Boeing's design also incorporates aerodynamic innovations.

The team has also considered the possibility of liquefied natural gas. However, that fuel would require significant changes in fuel-tank engineering and the fueling infrastructure.

Marty Bradley, Boeing Research and Technology, explains how the SUGAR Volt concept is defining the future of flight in this video -

I would like to know the views of CEans on this concept.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Classical guitar is very difficult to play but watching these North Korean kids play it so well makes me want to go back to practicing. Just watch the video!
my self dilkhush kumar.....m from bihar n persuing my B.tech from WBUT kolkatta... my branch is ece(6th sem)............i joined ce to share my knowledge n to get some ideas from...
Could anybody help just tell me the difference b/w different plastics like ABS,PP,PS,Nylon 6,6-6,PVC,HDPE and LDPE etc. I want to know about the specific changes b/w them like there strength,quality...
Hai friends: VIT EEE results are announced AU EEE results are also announced.
GRE always confused me. Recently, I met a friend who is all set to go to USA. Until now, he was just an ordinary engineer, passed out just last year....