Internal composition of a capacitor

Why is it that the parallel plate capacitor is the one which is most commonly used? What are the disadvantages in the other shapes? or what is the special advantage that a parallel plate capacitor has which makes it the most universally accepted shape?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Look here for other shapes:
    Capacitance

Parallel plate capacitors are easy to manufacture with defined values. Some parallel plates capacitors do not have plates at all. Example: sintered Tantalum pellet capacitors. However, the dielectric is an anodic oxide film that is very thin and so the behaviour follows parallel plate capacitor function.
    Electrolytic capacitors also are like this as the dielectric is an anodically grown thin film.
  • mansoor.aiesec
    mansoor.aiesec
    bioramani
    Look here for other shapes:
    Capacitance

Parallel plate capacitors are easy to manufacture with defined values. Some parallel plates capacitors do not have plates at all. Example: sintered Tantalum pellet capacitors. However the dielectric is an anodic oxide film that is very thin and so the behaviour follows parallel plate capacitor function.
    Electrolytic capacitors also are like this as the dielectric is an anodically grown thin film.
    Sir what do you feel would be a suitable material which could be used in the supercapacitor which would bring down the price of supercapacitors in the market? and do u have any suggestions regarding the composition of the capacitor which could lead to the increase in the energy density of this capacitor so that in the future it could replace the conventional batteries? And regarding the shape, can the shape have a significant effect on the energy storing capability of a supercapacitor or is there any other shape other than parallel plate which could lead to a higher storage of charge?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    The external shape is irrelevant. If the dielectric is very thin, the capacitor can be treated as parallel plate.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    i agree with sir bioramani where capacitor is of basic construction is of two parallel plates,though it can be treated as with respect to the dielectric material composition.. more over coming in future technolgy is depends of replacement of huge battries with super and ultra capacitors it already in process and some countries like korea and japan they using in electrical buses and cars etc...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Why is the blue laser affected very less cause of this but Red LASER is rapidly destroyed cause of this effect
What exactly is this ? Can a criminal escape this ? What are the effects of it ?
What are the necessary precautions to be taken when using a DC drive of above 100 V supply
hey i am not new here. My name is Mohit kumar singh I am from nalanda(Bihar). I have some good time on CE. But due to some reason i am...
How to find all the thread titles of threads started by the user Is there any segment where we can see the thread titles alone I know we can check...