Important Books for GATE Preparation 2018

With only a few months left, GATE 2018 is one of the exams which will be bugging most of the aspiring engineers who are looking for opportunities in the field of scientific research and higher studies. The exam opens the path for research in IISC, IIT's and even allows job opportunity in various PSU's. However, the limited number of opportunities and gigantic amount of examinees make GATE one of the toughest exams of our country. One wouldn't dare to even skip any of the sections listed in the syllabus which can be found by clicking the following link - #-Link-Snipped-#
GATE 2018 is being organized by IIT Guwahati and the above link directs the visitor to the syllabus page of the GATE 2018 official site. Once there, one can access the full detailed syllabus as per their branch and paper and can come one step closer to their dreams of cracking the GATE.
Though the organization lists the complete syllabus, the students find difficulty in deciding the materials that they must follow in order to prepare themselves as per the GATE syllabus. With a plethora of materials available online and with a limited time, it is very difficult for one to pick up the correct materials and begin their preparation.
Being an engineer myself, I suffered from the same dilemma back in 2017 when I was giving GATE for the first time. However, I would like to suggest some of the books which I found useful during my time -

1. #-Link-Snipped-#
I found this book pretty useful as the text was lucid and it covered every topic listed in the GATE syllabus. The exercises consist of standard questions and you can even find the difficulty level of the question matching the standards of that of GATE.

#-Link-Snipped-#
One of the best electronics book I ever read! This is one book that helped me to understand the basic concepts of diodes, transistors, op-amps in a way none other managed to do.

3. #-Link-Snipped-# or #-Link-Snipped-#
Both the books are suitable and cover all the topics in a lucid manner. One can go with Salivahanan as this book has all the necessary topics well covered for GATE exam.

4. #-Link-Snipped-#
I found this book pretty useful especially for learning electrical engineering basics and key-terms like power factor, circuit laws, etc.There exist many volumes of this book and I would suggest checking the content before opting for this book.

Though there were many other books that I have gone through, I found the above ones quite important from GATE perspective. Apart from the books, one should also practice previous years questions of GATE examination which are available in GATE 2018 website and can also be accessed here - #-Link-Snipped-#

Being from an Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering background and with less time in my hand, I had many difficulties in finding out the correct resources for preparing for my exams. I am sure many others from different branch still feel the same. Keeping that in mind I shared my list that can benefit one with a similar background and I will request others to contribute to this initiative.

So Crazy Engineers please share your views and suggestions to help other engineers of your branch by providing your best list of GATE prep books. Help others and experience the awesomeness of being a part of this engineering eco-system.

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    While #-Link-Snipped-# has taken care of his branch, I am here to give you a subject wise book list when it comes to Computer Science and Engineering.

Engineering Mathematics: Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Erwin Kreyszig

Discrete Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications by Kenneth Rosen.

Digital Logic: Modern Digital Electronics by R.P Jain

Computer Organization: Computer System Architecture by Morris Mano, Computer Organization by HAMACHER

Theory of Computation: An Introduction to Formal Languages and Automata by Peter Linz

Algorithms: Introduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest, and Clifford Stein

Computer Network: Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach by James F. Kurose, Keith W. Ross

Programming and Data Structure: Data Structures Using C by Tenenbaum

Databases: Database Systems by Elmasri, Navathe

Compiler Design: Compilers: Principles, Techniques and Tools by Alfred V. Aho , Ravi Sethi , D. Jeffrey Ulman

Operating Systems: Operating System Concepts by Silberschatz, Galvin, Gagne

General Aptitude: Quantitative Aptitude For Competitive Examinations by R.S. Aggarwal
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here's a list of best books for GATE 18 subject of engineering mathematics topic-wise -
    1. Calculus - Intermediate Mathematics by B. V. Sastry and K. Venkateswarlu
    2. Numerical Methods - Higher Engineering Mathematics by B. S. Grewal
    3. Linear Algebra - Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Erwin Kreyszig
    Best Books for GATE Civil Engineering -
    1. Structural Analysis by S. S. Bhavikatti
    2. R. C. C. Designs by Dr. B. C. Punmia Ashok Jain and Arun Jain
    3. Design of Steel Structures by S. K. Duggal
    4. Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulics by R. K. Bansal
    5. Soil Mechanics by Braja M. Das
    6. Irrigation Engineering by N. N. Basak
    7. Principles of Foundation Engineering by Braja M. Das
    8. Engineering Hydrology by K. Subramany

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Every year India produces around 1.5 million engineers from its 6000+ engineering and technology institutions, which is more engineers than the USA and China combined. It seems like a wonderful...
The list of top scorers of the Quiz conducted on November 5 is as follows. We hope you enjoyed the quiz and had a great time. If you have any...
"How popular is WhatsApp?" is the question I asked Google and it came up with some statistics published by SimilarWeb in 2016 that show, WhatsApp is the most popular app...
I am Nagarajan.S I have finished my Bachelors from Chennai - Electrical and Electronics Engineering. I worked as Research Intern at IIT Madras in a BIO-Medical firm as ARM Cortex...
It is no secret that cyber crime is on the rise. Previously it was presumed that cyber crimes are only affecting your online life but today these cyber crimes have...