iMac superdrive issues : ejects DVD after few seconds

My iMac 27" (2011) model is already past its warranty and the superdrive isn't functioning well. It's popping-out any DVD inserted after a gap of about 15-30 seconds. After inserting the DVD, the superdrive tries to read it, makes some noise (DVD spinning) and then ejects it. I've read that some of the iMac users were able to fix the issue without taking their machines to Apple service center. I've been reading about how setting NVRAM or PRAM fixes the issue.

My attempts at resetting NVRAM and PRAM were unsuccessful because the system does not recognize bluetooth paired keyboard at the time of booting. The only way to fix this seems to be connecting a USB powered keyboard and then pressing Command+Option+P+R keys at the time of booting, before the iMac icon appears.

If anyone of you have experienced similar issue and got it fixed through some or the other way, please share the steps. I'm going to try connecting Windows USB keyboard and try it out.

PS: Surprisingly, the Optical Drives for iMac are very costly. I called the local store and they said it's going to cost ~Rs. 13,000. I'd rather buy a portable super-drive.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It seems rather early but US based semiconductor devices brand Crucial will be launching DDR4 RAM for the public by the end of 2013. Although it has not provided a...
The quest of finding the better power alternatives have been on for quite some time now and a lot of research work has been put in behind the lithium-air batteries...
Google Glass is quite different from all our regular computing devices and gadgets. It literally puts all the power of computing and the Internet right in front of our eyes;...
Quora is famous for interesting questions and answers. I thought of looking at all the technical discussions and decided to visit the 'Electrical Engineering' related topics. I was surprised to...
Let's collect all the thoughts, opinions and advices from engineers who've been working in IT Industry (it doesn't matter how long you've been working ; be it 2 months or...