IITs Find Place In World University Rankings - Are Indian Students Proud?

When it comes to the Indian engineering students and their academics, the only places that they want to get into are the series of colleges under the Indian Institute of Technology. And when these young engineering college graduates vow to take up post-grad studies, they google-up the internet for the Best Universities based on the world rankings. Have we taken time to find out what positions do our IITs hold on the world map? Well, now you are about to find out.

In the recent world university rankings done by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), the reputed British education and career advice company, it has come to light that if not for IITs, most other Indian universities have failed to pick up a place on the chart. According to the results, IIT Delhi's Electrical Engineering Department has been ranked the 37th best globally, thereby becoming the highest entry from India across all categories. Next we have, IIT Bombay's Civil Engineering Department has been ranked 39th, while IIT Delhi's Mechanical and Aeronautical engineering has been positioned 43rd. Another well-known college - The Indian Institute of Science ranks 50th in Materials Science.

ranking

Coming back to the universities that top the charts globally - we have the ones from US and UK who dominate. There's Harvard ranking number one in 10 subjects, ahead of MIT with 7, University of Oxford with 4, UC Berkeley with , University of Cambridge with 3, Imperial College London with 1 and UC Davis with 1. It is a bit sad to know that none of the Indian universities have department have been able to make it to the top 200 altogether in 12 of the 30 disciplines covered in the rankings. CrazyEngineers, here, can rejoice in the fact that 'engineering' discipline has surpassed all the others, be it medicine or law, economics or education. But, I am sure you agree, that we couldn't have guessed anything better.

So, to summarize it up - IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi and IIT Madras are all ranked in the global top 50 in at least one of the four areas of engineering: civil, mechanical, electrical and chemical. Delhi University and JNU have made it to the top 100 in the world for English literature. They've drawn conclusions that India faces numerous challenges as it attempts to expand participation and increase university funding.

India is on its way to have an internationally competitive higher education system. But, what we are interested in knowing is the students reaction. If you're an Indian engineering student, let us know what you feel about IIT's world rankings? Share your views in comments below.

Via: IITs shine in world university rankings | India News - Times of India

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    What? No one cares about the rankings? 😲

By the way, I was wondering what is keeping IITs from increasing tuition fees like IIMs did. (ultimately banks will be very keen to give student loans given their employability.) Corporate sector and alumni are keen to give money to IITs if they are really serious to develop CS, give number of tech millionaires IITs produced. That's how MIT of the world are funded.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    IITs have increased their tuition fee from this session. Its 90,000 now as opposed to 50,000 last session. And I dont think the ranking matters much. People go there for job only and they get the job. Research is the attribute that adds quality to any university. IIT was never a place for good research, and I am sure its not going to be in near future!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is Norton's theorem? What is its significance and are there any advantages over Thevenin's theorem?
Get ready for amazing luxury and environment friendly car with consumer rating of 99/100 Features includs: 0-60 miles/hour in 4.3 sec Full Feature list: https://www.teslamotors.com FAQ: https://www.teslamotors.com/goelectric#roadtrips Look at following...
PLEASE HELP ME BY SENDING A FREE BODY DIAGRAM REGARDING VARIOUS LOADS ON THE BRACINGS OF STRUCTURAL METALLIC COLUMN.
Hello all, How do i get a scholarship for studying engineering in one of the prestigious colleges of USA? Thanks a lot Calvin Brave
The e-commerce giant has made its mark in the gadget market with the success of Kindle but if sources are to believed, it has more ambitious projects in the making....