How we can Validate the Float number in c++?

I have to input only float number..
bcoz..i want to devlop the program for addition of two float numbers.In that if user gave integer numbers then the i want to generate exception....hence i having problem with checking the user input whether it is float numbers or integers....I want to perform addition with only an only with float numbers....Any one tell me to how the float value is validate....help me...👎

Replies

• Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    there's no need of generating an exception..
    Every integer arithmetic's can be performed using float too...
    so your program will work fine!
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    As Vishal0203 said there is no need for exception, because there is no purpose of excluding the integers in that manner,
    However if u still want to try it, here is one method:
    Suppose the floating point no is stored in fno
    • Create an integer no (ie int no😉
    • Copy fno to no
    • Subtract fno from no, if result is zero, then throw exception ( as it would be integer )
    Good Luck!
  • SDKING
    SDKING
    @vishal0203- i think you could not understand my problem.
    my problem is the addition of floating point numbers so i want only addition of float number like..
    float a=12.30,b=34.55;
    float c=a+b;
    and if in this user gave integer input so in that time no need to add that numbers.
    boz i want only float numbers..
    Hence i want to create code for accepting float number only....👎
  • SDKING
    SDKING
    @rahul69-thnx for previous help...your guidance is much helpful for me....
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# In C++, if you want to detect that the input value is valid or invalid, so what you can do is first accept your input as strings, validate those strings, then if valid, only then convert the strings to float numbers using the atof() function.

For example:

string num1, num2;

cin >> num1;
        if( num1.find_first_not_of("1234567890.-") != string::npos )
        {
            cout << "invalid number: " << num1 << endl;
            return;
        }
    Or just do this, if it suits your requirement:

float x, y;
    if (std::cin >> x >> y) {
        // Do whatever you want
    }
    else {
        // Say it is invalid
    }
  • SDKING
    SDKING
    Absolutly ri8.....This is Work....thnx AbraKaDabra..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The most common problem we all face with our mobile phones is that the ringer volume remains the same no matter where you are - at a party or in...
A petition to the supreme court of India to regulate the profession of civil engineering in India.​ Civil Engineers play a prominent role in development of the nation; their services...
Well, not really but they are catching up quick. The research on low-cost artificial hands has been fruitful and the organization has released a clip of yet another milestone achieved...
hi i want to construct the suspension bridge model kindly help me with the suitable information like model, materials to be used, etc thanks in advance for helping
Dear CEan's please explain me briefly that can Reynolds Number be changed in any design compatible to orifice parameters?