How to plug LEDs in a rubber extrusion?

Hello, everyone! I need to plug a lot of LEDs in a rubber extrusion and make them light in a determined direction.
So I have a number of questions about the best way of doing it. I'll be very grateful for your answers.

1. Should I make a garland first using heat shrink and then glue it to holes in the extrusion or integrate a wiring together with a connectors like BLS first and then use a special diod holders or may be there is a better way?
2. What is the best material for such extrusion? It must be strong enough to hold diodes safe under the human weigth, but allow to roll it up to a ring with diameter of approximately 5 meters without plastic deformations. Extrusion will have approximately 20x20 millimeters section size.
3. Can you give me any recommendations on the glue's type for glueing ribbon cable and a material of extrusion from question 2.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    How about using some commercial reinforced rubber/pvc/nylon hose? Lay it straight along the ground, make a full length slit after making equidistant holes for
    the LEDs. The slit passes through the diameter of the holes. Make a chain of the LEDs spaced about 20% more than the space between the holes. This is to account for stretching of the hose under weight. Slip the assembly through the slit such that the LEDs are aligned with the holes. The 20% excess length of the connection between the LEDs can be accommodated inside the hollow space of the hose. Seal the slit and any gap around the LEDs with room temperature vulcanising silicone rubber paste freely available in the market.
    Nylon is perhaps the strongest in tensile load especially the fibre reinforced versions.
  • Dmitry Grigoriev
    Dmitry Grigoriev
    Thank you very much for your help! I really appreciate that! I will try reinforced hose like you said.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CEans, The biggest update in the history of CrazyEngineers is just around the corner. As we shared in February, our team is getting ready for the next CrazyEngineers, where...
Hello Friends! Which company do you recommend for a solid hands on short term training in Europe/Asia for electrical engineers(1-5 weeks)? I wish to get a solid training in one...
Huawei Honor has announced a new entry-level smartphone, the Honor 7A for its budget-conscious consumers in its home country. The handset is an incremental upgrade over the Honor 6A, its...
Google has officially confirmed the launch of smart speakers Google Home and Home mini in India on April 10. The Home and Home mini speakers have been listed on Flipkart....
Design Essentials: How to Convert from Rotary to Linear Motion