How to create awesome PPT for seminar

I read How To Present Yourself In Seminarsuch a dope thread. But question arises that How to create the presentation ? I mean how to create awesome PPT containing no bullshit & good enough to impress the viewers ?

I would like to have tips from few CEans who I think have/might've given seminars & presentation in their respective companies (& TED Talks)
Tagging : @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This is awesome:
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think I'll write some of my experiences to extend the points.

First of all: Understand what is the main purpose of the presentation. This is the first step and any presenter cannot go wrong with this. If you are presenting at college, your strategy will be different than when presenting in a corporate office or delivering a keynote address or 'sending a ppt' via email.

So - the 'purpose' is the first and the most important thing to know before even double-clicking the power point software.

How many slides?

People usually think that the higher the number of slides, the 'smarter' they'll appear to the audience (he/she has so much content to present, so he/she must be smart & intelligent, huh?).

Point to keep in mind is that you have to know your audience and the time you have to present. Ideally, a slide should have 10 slides but should never exceed 20! You can't expect your audience or readers to click 20 slides unless you have something extraordinarily awesome! There are several presentations online that have won 'The Best PPT Ever' awards, but understand that those presentations have been made with a purpose and essentially 'tell a story'. If you can do that - you can have as many slides as you want. But for most of the cases, keep your slide count < 20; ideally at about 10 - because by limiting yourself - you are forcing yourself to be more creative.

Font Size:

If you are presenting to 100+ people - you should have BIG FONTS & PICTURES or CHARTS (without numbers). The idea is not to let people read your slides and already know what you're going to speak about.

Pictures do well - but make sure that pictures are VERY RELEVANT & compliment the points you are making through your talk.

Review It 2X:

I've learned this the hard way. You may be confident about your subject; but I'd strongly recommend reviewing your presentation 2x before you 'go live'. Else, be ready for the unwanted surprises.

Don't Try To Be Steve Jobs:

I've seen unfortunate number of people trying to deliver presentations like Steve Jobs. Their success formula is to tell stories like Steve Job's Yale address and then combine it with presentations that resemble Steve Jobs introducing the first iPad.

Understand that Steve was doing 'product launch' and he had a great way to do that using Keynote. It's okay to use awesome animations that software like Keynote and Power Point offer; but don't try to be Steve Jobs!

Don't Try To Be Funny: This isn't about 'presentation' itself; but don't try to be funny through your slides or talk unless you are totally comfortable on the stage and know what you're saying. I'd recommend strongly avoiding it unless you've presented to 100+ audience for at least 10 times and truly enjoy presenting.

The best strategy is to make your slides absolutely 'to the point' and keep your talk absolutely about the 'main points' that elaborate slide. Everything else can be discarded.

What does 'to the point' mean anyway?:

While creating slides, people have this tendency to include 'as many points' as they can. That's a HUGE mistake that makes your presentation 100% boring. No one is interested in 'all the points'. Can you extract the MOST IMPORTANT points and present them in a clearly understandable manner? Say no to bullet points if you can.

Your job is to extract the 'main points' and then speak out all the most important supporting points.

I think that should be enough for most of the presentations.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Once biggi does a write-up for anything, there is very little scope you can add anything in that. Still, here are my 2 cents...

- First thing you should consider before creating a presentation is - who is audience, what is occasion, and the place where you are going to deliver (in person or a webinar). Actually, these factors will decide the following:
    The content of the presentation - can be elaborative in a webinar, but needs to be very precise for in-person seminars.
    The size of the presentation - Below 15-20 slides for in-person; however can be lengthier for webinars
    The style of the presentation - avoid long texts / small fonts for in person; however this is acceptable in webinars

I have just given examples, these things differs per occasion, audience and requirments.

One of the very senior person told me that a effective presentation should have the answer to every question (asked by audience) in the next slide.

If you have a sense that a presentation is good or bad, then I would recommend you to review your own presentation from a perspective of audience, you will find the improvement points in that.

-CB
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Already given all the top things. I would like to add one more thing,
    Add some abstract pictures, audience see it but they can't perceive it until you explain them. This make presentation more interesting.
  • Karthikeyan jaisankar
    Karthikeyan jaisankar
    ๐Ÿ‘
  • candysmith
    candysmith
    Abhishek Rawal
    I read How To Present Yourself In Seminarsuch a dope thread. But question arises that How to create the presentation ? I mean how to VB.NET PowerPoint: Use PowerPoint SDK to Create, Load and Save PPT Document containing no bullshit & good enough to impress the viewers ?
    Wow, this is great. The PPT creating skills are really important for one's career.
  • Devinder Kumar
    Devinder Kumar

ppt rto prosess

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

#-Link-Snipped-# has given (without a PPT!) all that needs to be done.

If the audience are peers, you can be technical all the way. If it is to lay people, avoid jargon and too much maths.

Instead of bulletted lists may be mindmaps will convey interrelated concepts better.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have logged into my you tube account both in my pc and mobile.In both pc and mobile I am operating my account using same mail. If we subscribed to...
Among all the Indian Institutes Of Technology (IIT), IIT-Madras is turning out to be an innovation powerhouse. We've seen a lot of innovations coming out of IIT-M engineers in the...
Hello all! Found this site via Xenforo and a conversation with Kaustubh over there I searched this site for "aquarium" and got zero hits. Also not much for acrylic and/or...
Whether it is possible to generate electricity from moisture.
I came across this website, Indiblogger. Like to know, what this website actually do with respect to blog. I know there is a ranking system,meets etc. But how it is...