How the natural fibre withstand the heat while fabricate?

In this journal paper they mix the aluminium with natural fibre my question is - How the natural fibre withstand the heat while fabricate?

NEW NATURAL FIBRE REINFORCED ALUMINIUM COMPOSITE FOR AUTOMOTIVE BRAKE PAD

M.A. Maleque1*, A. Atiqah1, R.J. Talib2 and H. Zahurin1

1 Department of Manufacturing and Materials Engineering, International Islamic University Malaysia, Jalan Gombak, 53100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

2 Advanced Materials Centre, SIRIM Berhad, 09000 Kulim, Kedah, Malaysia

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Did you read the full paper? The method of fabrication is described in the paper. They claim that powder metallurgy techniques were used. The sintering was done by them at 2000C. 

Coconut fibre should stand this.

It is a different matter that in my opinion one would require nearly 5000C to sinter Aluminium.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

My mistake. Aluminium sinters at 5700C.

• arul aruzz
    arul aruzz

thanks for your respond sir , yes i read the paper sir first they blended all the raw materials then they go for the fabrication if the firbre withstand that temperature but without melting aluminium powder how they made the break pad because aluminium melting temperature is 6300C  

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

A longtime back I was involved with powder metallurgy related activity. As a general rule, sintering temperatures are about 80 to 85% of the melting temperature. 

In the referred paper all compositions use 10% phenolic resin. This would translate into 20% volume percentage. The aluminium powder would remain as is. All they would have got is a resin bonded abrasive pad, which is fairly common. The resin would sinter at this temperature depending on the specific resin. I had made phenolic resin bonded iron cylinders with this kind of volume percentages.

• arul aruzz
    arul aruzz

As per your statement the 2000C  is enough to make the aluminium break pad composite?

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

The composition shown in the paper should cure at 2000C.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Note: Requesting new members to invest some time in writing proper questions with appropriate description. It takes time to edit these questions to make them more readable.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to know what things should I keep in my mind while selecting the sites for the test 
Hello sir/mam Now I am doing my UG in CSE and I am well interested in doing astronomy in as my PG and I have some knowledge about space and...
Any waste material that can replace lime in cements or concretes and should have equal or greater properties as compared to lime.
I am about to start my final year project. I have researched and found that i would have to have my hands on image processing and object recognition through machine...
I'm requesting all our CEans to cricique the design of this website. We already have received feedback from many CEans here and via email in private, and we've noted them...