How cantilever bridges are different from other types of bridges?

A very general question, what is a cantilever bridge , and how does it vary from other types of bridges ?

Since cantilever beams are beams which are supported rigidly at one end and free at the other, then how does the cantilever bridge live up to its name ?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The cantilever bridge has two cantilevers projecting from either bank. The projecting ends are linked by a suspension span.
    Cantilever Bridge
    The Howrah Bridge is one of the finest examples of a cantilever bridge.
    [​IMG]

The Firth of Forth Railway Bridge ( I have seen it. Majestic!) is another:
    [​IMG]
  • Mohamed Amir
    Mohamed Amir
    bridge formed by two projecting beams or trusses that are joined in the center by a connecting member and are supported on piers and anchored by counterbalancing members.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

nowadays in most industries conventional machine tools are being replaced by CNC machines, (where most of the production is batch type production). But there are still areas where the automatic...
Hi guys, I just saw an interenational conference for computer & IT students (undergraducate and postgraducate). I think it's a great opporunity for students like us to participate in so...
Here is another one: https://www.aisst.org/conferences/icgcnc-2013 Hope this is helpful as well.
Self-defense is a good form of exercise but also crucial for safety and self-defense. But rather than concentrating on self-defense,whether we should focus on creating strict laws and implementing them...
The idea is to design an application that is used to maintain information about products. Abstract: The aim of the project is to develop an online product master maintenance system...