Heroism vs Individualism

In life, as youngsters, we're naturally accustomed to liking a hero. This often showcases many talents that we enjoy watching the heroes do, may it be in movies or in real life scenarios. Does this affect the individualism of the person? Everyone is born to be what he wants to be. But does heroism necessarily entrap a state of thought that a person becomes a hero only if he/she possesses some particular qualities. The youth are often misguided by some of these factors. What do you think? How does the affinity towards a hero come into existence?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Every individual is influenced by his surroundings. A person's nature is a direct result of the environment in which he/she grows up and the people around him/her during childhood & to some extent, adulthood. We tend to seek our heros which are treated as 'heros' by people around us. It's all about our influences that decide our individualism (if that's the right term to be used ๐Ÿ˜€ ).

But does heroism necessarily entrap a state of thought that a person becomes a hero only if he/she possesses some particular qualities. The youth are often misguided by some of these factors.
    Not too clear about this point. Could you explain a bit in more detail?

PS: Good Topic ๐Ÿ‘
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    But does heroism necessarily entrap a state of thought that a person becomes a hero only if he/she possesses some particular qualities. The youth are often misguided by some of these factors.
    I meant to ask that, does the human mind find an affinity towards the particular characteristics of heroes(or in some cases villains) that he/she tends to enact these in real life, rather than develop individual characteristics all by themselves. The idea of imitating someone comes to reality in this case.

But shouldn't we enact and hunt for our born talents directly rather than look at a hero to tell us how we should live?? Many examples can be quoted of people trying to play hero or enacting someone else. Why does this happen? Is heroism a boon or a bane to the individualism?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    People like imitating heroes because heroes are the ones who are liked by everyone! As Biggie said everyone gets influenced by surroundings and as you said movies etc.

So, the point lies till what point you are imitating , when ever your rational thinking comes into picture and instructs you what to do then automatically you are getting what you called individualism.

We say everyone is unique but with many similarities ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    English-Scared
    So, the point lies till what point you are imitating , when ever your rational thinking comes into picture and instructs you what to do then automatically you are getting what you called individualism.
    How does this rational thinking come into existence at the first place? No human baby is born with the sense to tell from right or wrong. Most people say it's basic instincts. But yet there is a difference. The way people think after getting accustomed to a situation is totally different from the way that a person thinks before he's exposed to a situation.

There are certain rules that we follow as a society. We develop these habits through social understanding. And we blindly like to follow them because they are our guidelines (or hero material) for life. The individual thoughts cannot be entertained completely at early stages of life. Likewise, the innocence is lost as the baby grows. It's like in the story 'The Jungle Book' where Mougli is bred in the forests, from where he learns and adapts animal instincts and fails to live like a human. In today's era, the children are growing up with a higher level of hero support than their parents used to have. Moreover, the bad influences are seen in many instances.

For example: I had experienced this situation earlier when I was doing my high school days in Class 12th. One day, in our school bus, a little boy who was studying in the lower kindergarten, was running around inside the bus and creating havoc for all the other students. Being the eldest of them all, I advised him to sit down or else he'd break his teeth once the driver steps on the brakes. The question he asked me intrigues me even today. He asked me, "Bhaiyya, are you married???". I replied, "No, why do you ask??". He replied, "Because only married people give advice!". (Now how on earth does he know that??? Bad television influence!!! And you call them smarter kids???) ๐Ÿ˜•

If human DNA or genetic material carries the basic instincts or rational ideas of our ancestors or let alone our late forefathers, will a human child (who is say lost in the Amazon forests) be able to survive even in the harshest of environments, without receiving any hero support??? Consider with this context that a hero can be anybody - a mother, a father, a relative, a teacher or anyone who is an adult with the basic common sense instilled in his/her brain.

P.S.: If this feels like an awkward topic, please reply with discretion. This is just for the purpose of pure understanding and fuel-for-thought. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Everyday we used to dream,plan and execute those in real life when they are not possible you feel this is life and starts to lead like a normal human being but when your dreams come through then you'll start to realize that there is a hero in you and start acting things and sometimes even try to do things which we can't. These activities are based on the individual on the way they lead their lives, depending on surroundings. Movies will play very minor role in this part and if they influence in such greater impact then there wouldn't be any flop movie but the ideas we gather from different people including movies will display ourselves in the way we want. Everyone is a born hero in my opinion but whether it's good or bad depends on what we want to be. Our thoughts would be good for some one and bad for those.

Example: I'll take the following example mentioned above. The Kid who had given a punch ๐Ÿ˜› for anoop would've answered arrogantly but it looks awesome for his friends(Kid's). In fact, this is also called smartness but it wasn't doing any good for him. He has it but it wasn't directed in a good way. His environment can only teach him what's good and some day he'll realize and change accordingly and will become a good individual and may become a Hero for others too.

DNA will develop according to the environment and it will be adjusted automatically according to the environment. I don't we carry it from our ancestors but if it can't adjust according to the environment then there'll no human till now. It would all ended in 10.000 B.C ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    when you grow up do you still heed to all what elders have to offer us? you tend to use more of your own commonsense what you have personally developed rather than going by the wise words of elders, so i dont see the influence part of it, i rather relate it to the moulding stage of the brain where good things are taught to children , thats when you can say them whats good and whats bad, you can teach them discretion. If you given them examples of good people and inspirational people at thier young age, yes there is a chance of being influenced. I guess that is why elders at home, do story-telling of the holy books to kids.
    The otherwise would be, kids carrying guns to schools and doing a blind shoot out at fellow students and teachers.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    anoopthefriend
    In life, as youngsters, we're naturally accustomed to liking a hero. This often showcases many talents that we enjoy watching the heroes do, may it be in movies or in real life scenarios. Does this affect the individualism of the person? Everyone is born to be what he wants to be. But does heroism necessarily entrap a state of thought that a person becomes a hero only if he/she possesses some particular qualities. The youth are often misguided by some of these factors. What do you think? How does the affinity towards a hero come into existence?
    Usually parents are the heros to a very young child. What constitutes heroism? Excellence in something which the hero worshipper does not have. So one starts worshipping it. Not everyone does it though. It is possible to admire an excellence without worshipping. A person with a strong sense of self worth may admire another's excellence without being overawed by it.

Who is a hero? A person with an indomitable will, with a 'never say die' attitude. In that sense each one has the innate capacity to be a hero. If one analyzes it, all heros are strong individuals. A true hero does not consider himself/herself one.
    One is born with a capacity to become what one wants to become (subject to feasibility - I cannot sprout wings and fly even if I very much want to).

Hero worship need not preclude individual excellence. In committed individuals this may spur one to achieve excellence.
    One Gandhi may activate hazaar Hazares. That does not mean Hazare imitates Gandhi. He has his own individuality.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    TV influenced each one of us when we were growing ( @bioramani is an exception, I know ๐Ÿ˜€ ). But my parents controlled what I saw (there wasn't anything 'objectionable' on the TV (my guess) prior to the cable-TV era). I think they made me enjoy science programs and I remember I'd run faster to the home from my school bus because I didn't want to miss out on that aero-modeling show on local DD channel.

My parents were my real heros and they still are. I think it boils down to where you pick up your influences from - TV, your friends, friends of friends, movies and so on. Why are we talking about kids? The grown ups too are influenced and find their heros; but many don't acknowledge it. I'm in 100% agreement with @bioramani that you've the ability to choose what you want to be - just like your hero. But then, most of us (read: a lot of us) end up picking up wrong choices.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Any other takes people?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I assume many of the CEans will be using mouse gestures in gmail. If you use it, you'd already know that how naturally we get used to it! For those...
The Hindu newspaper reported on 1st Nov 2011 that F1 race conducted at Buddh International Circuit can be one of India's best opportunities as a "great venue" for the following...
Wish you a very -2 happy bithday Reya From all of CEan ๐Ÿ˜€ have a great future ahead ,all the very best ๐ŸŽ‰
Hi,everybody! I'm Jane from Zhengzhou,China. I'm so glad to find this fantastic world and I like to make friends with you all. I like drawing and Enya's songs-songs of nature....
Mechanical and electrical engineers often overlook important issues when specifying their respective parts of an electromechanical system. Consider these five targeted pieces of advice for mechanical engineers responsible for electromechanical...