Google's multiple-access password software hacked

US Internet giant Google's password system that controls multiple access to almost all of its web services was hacked through an innocuous message sent to a Google employee in China, a media report said Tuesday.
Though Google had disclosed in January that intruders had stolen information from its computers in the cyber attack in December 2009, the extent of the theft has been a closely guarded company secret till now.
The programme, code named "Gaia" for the Greek goddess of the earth, was attacked in December, a source close to the investigation was quoted as saying by New York Times Tuesday.
It is intended to enable multiple access to users and employees, who can sign in with their password just once to operate a range of services.
Though Google quickly started making significant changes to the security of its networks after the intrusions, the theft has left open the possibility that the intruders may find weaknesses that the company might not even be aware of.
The theft began with a message sent to a Google employee in China who was using Microsoft's Messenger programme at that time. By clicking on a link and connecting to a "poisoned" website, the employee inadvertently permitted the intruders to gain access to his computer and then to the computers of a critical group of software developers at Google's headquarters in California.
The details of the theft have been a closely guarded secret. Google first publicly disclosed the theft January 12, 2010, on the company's website, which said the company was changing its policy towards China in the wake of the theft of unidentified "intellectual property".

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is the different? Sometimes PORTB can energised output, sometimes cannot.
Hi.. will you please clarify me what is basic difference between a computer science engineer and an IT engineer. How their fields are different..??😒
A process executes the following segment of code: for(i=1;i<=n;i++) fork(); The number of processes created is : a) n b) n(n+1)/2 c) 2 to the power of n - 1...
hello crazy engineers solve these Q1: 1/3 ed of the contents of a container evaporated on the 1 st day. 3/4 th of the remaining contents of the container evaporated...
one of my friend is preparing for civil services and she choose history as optional for both pre exam and main exam .so please help her by telling me the...