Google Instant: Useful Or Not?

Google has officially introduce the instant search that searches as you type. On the first look it looks like an amazing feature. However, I wish to know how'd it help in finding helpful data.

For example, if I wish to search for Apple Pie Recipe; and I start typing "Appl .." the search engine begins showing "Apple Store", "Apple Inc." and similar results; which in my opinion, shows me the results which I don't want.

So, while typing if I find something else; I might forget what I was searching for and go to a totally irrelevant link.

So, I'm wondering what Google's trying to achieve by showing us results as we type. To me, it's like answering before understanding the question first!

What's your take?

Replies

• ashaash11ash
    ashaash11ash
    According to me google instant is very useful but as you said that in some situations it might be unuseful. Think about the positive points about it. You know that you want to type "apple pie recipe" then its no use for you to use the google instant. just type the apple pie recipe and you are with it. But think of those who are not sure that what they want and when they type the relavent word for it and they get their title. Its very useful for those people. For example you are a student and you see a topic for your project somewhere for a while. You are not sure of the topic you saw but you know that it is related to solar panel then you just type the word "solar panel" and you get the correct topic you are searching in the google with the help of google instant.Then think that how useful it might be when you are confused with what you want. Its not that everything what u want should be perfect. But we can try to make it perfect as far as possible and google has made it. So according to me google instant is very useful.
  • rishi0922
    rishi0922
    Well i agree with ashaash, google instant is less useful for those who are trying to search any particular derived topic but is extremely useful for those who are searching some project topics or any assignment topics or if wan't to go to the depth of any topic, like if i have to search something about NOKIA then if i type NOKIA then it gives all the possible facts and information about NOKIA which may be i didn't know.....so it's much more useful ......./
  • sindhu13
    sindhu13
    yes i agree.. that google instant is extremly useful for those who are searching for assignment and project topics.. it is also useful for those who doesnt know the exact spelling or the word related to the topic which is provided by the google instant..
  • 4M4N
    4M4N
    It is very useful only if you have a high speed internet connection, otherwise for slow connection it may degrade a bit.
  • think
    think
    i think its most dependent on ur usage moreover its said that google keep traces of what u search and may be will learn overtime to your searching habits

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, I don't think this news is important enough to find a place in announcements section, so posting it here. CE got a minor upgrade few hours ago and everything...
I wish to know what our CEans expect from all future computer operating systems? Do you have any special expectations? I personally expect two things - 1. Instant On feature....
Alright, the question might look very biased because I've mostly seen the distance education programs fail. I wish to know whether anyone here taken a distance education course and has...
Suppose I am working on my computer. And I have no clue about the whereabouts of my cellphone. (Because I don't remember where I kept it last.) Wouldn't it be...
Why #pragma() is used in C programming? What is meant by structure padding in C programming? How is this related to pragma directive? Please do reply.