Google banning torrent websites doesn't make any sense!

Almost every publication out there is writing that Google is likely to ban torrent websites starting June 1. To me, this did not make any sense at all. Tell me just one torrent user who actually goes to Google to search for torrents? If you ever wanted to download anything, would you not just type your favorite torrent website in browser and use their own search engine to find the exact download? Google banning torrent websites doesn't make any sense!

I think there are other ways search engines can fight with the torrent sites. For once, downloading a torrent isn't illegal. What's illegal is that you download something that is NOT meant to be downloaded without the permission of its creator - like a movie that's meant to be seen in the cinema hall.

Perhaps, Google could simply ban the download of files that are known to be IP protected. I however doubt Google will actually go that way.

What say?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In India, startups = funding. No one gives a damn if you aren't a funded company. If you are launching a startup, you better start looking for funding from venture...
Intex Technologies has taken a break from launching new Aqua range of smartphones and delved into the feature phone market this valentine’s day with two new handsets. The Intex Turbo...
PAL-V, a Dutch vehicle manufacturer, led the development of flying cars since decades and has finally revealed commercial models available for everyone to buy. According to the manufacturer, flying capabilities...
As the world’s largest gathering for the mobile industry, The Mobile World Congress 2017 (MWC) draws nearer, the buzz surrounding launch of new smartphones has started gathering momentum. Japanese smartphone...
Say Hi to two latest sports cars from German luxury car maker Porsche, the 718 Boxster and the 718 Cayman. With the launch of the new 718 series in India,...