Future of core routers looking bleak?

I've always been fascinated by those awesomely powerful core routers, especially the mammoth CRS-3 with switching capacity exceeding 300 Tb/s!😲

But after reading this article on Lightreading#-Link-Snipped-# on how Juniper's Q4 earnings have dropped, I've somehow overlooked the rise of packet-optical transport systems (P-OTS) and content delivery networks (CDNs) owned by carriers themselves. These will somewhat reduce the demand of core routers in the long run.

Should vendors like Cisco & Juniper start catering into P-OTS more? Reposition themselves in the CDN market? Or they over-hyped and that core routers will be still be integral in carrier networks in years to come?

tagging our network guru Durga 😛

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, We're looking for hardcore PHP coders who eat, drink, sleep PHP and have proven abilities. There are no restrictions. We've interesting projects and need skilled PHP professionals to work...
Hey guys... It happened to hear that, a heat treated component made up of steel(Medium carbon steel for instance) will have a different composition in the core and circumference... It...
Update: The Contest Is Over.​ CEan, I'm sure all of you must have noticed our teasers. We're sure that the curiosity is already building up everywhere. Everyone's guessing! Here's a...
I HAVE DOWNLOADED IDM (INTERNET DOWNLOAD MANAGER) TRAIL VERSION,IT IS EXPIRED NOW.EVEN IF I AM TRYING TO DOWNLOAD OTHER DOWNLOADER MANAGERS I AM NOT ABLE TO DOWNLOAD, SO I AM...
Name: ASHISH SHARMA *Engineering Trade: MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Location: JODHPUR *Occupation: STUDENT Work Experience: FRESHER *Hobbies & Interests: DESIGNING IN 3D CAD S/W LIKE CREOELEMENTS, CATIA AND AUTOCAD, PLAYING CHESS, LISTENING...