First Time In 10 Years 5 Planets Closest To Earth Will Be Visible Simultaneously

For a month starting Wednesday - 20th January 2016, five planets that are not usually visible to the naked eye, will be visible. Interestingly, they’ll all be visible simultaneously. This phenomenon that includes Mercury, Venus, Saturn, Mars and Jupiter, is not as rare as spotting of some comets, but the last time this happened was in January of 2005. This sighting is a boon especially to the people of the Pacific Northwest.

5-planets-visible-simultaneously

Another reason why this is extraordinary is because all five planets will be visible on the same side of the sky. Mercury, which is the closest to the Sun, is rarely visible without a telescope, owing to the bright backlight illumination, but this time, it joins the parade. Mercury will be the last planet to come up the horizon, at about 6.45 a.m. on Wednesday the 20th of January. 6.45 in the morning is already past twilight in most other places, so if you are lucky enough to have low light at that time and cloudless clear sky, and of course if you manage to wake up that early, you will witness this spectacular scene.

But it lasts till the 20th of February, so there is a good chance of getting a glimpse of the parade on at least one day. In fact, Venus will be much easier to spot a little later this month than at the beginning of the occurrence. The order of appearance is Mercury, Venus, Saturn, Mars and Jupiter. Since last October, these 5 planets have been playing hide-and-seek, but mostly in the wee hours of the day, and individually.

This is not an alignment of the planets, but we'll see them as if they are all aligned in a straight line. Starting with Mercury at the southeast end of the sky, the five planets will seem to appear in a diagonal towards the southwestern horizon. There will also be some bright stars in the way, and some of these #-Link-Snipped-# might help you spot and differentiate them. Layman hack: Stars blink. Planets don’t.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Thanks for reminding us about the rare opportunity
  • Raagavan Sivaraja
    Raagavan Sivaraja
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Thanks for reminding us about the rare opportunity
    Not sure how visible it will be in India. In matters of the sky, one can only hope 😉
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Mercury is the only one that is difficult to sight with the naked eye. I did see it once in 1967 from the top of the yet to be completed Anna Nagar Tower in Madras. All others are easily seen. I see Venus (Vidivelli as Tamils call it)every morning from my bedroom window in Bangalore at about 5-45 AM. Low clouds reduce visibility for the other dimmer planets. Shall see if the others are visible
  • Raagavan Sivaraja
    Raagavan Sivaraja
    A.V.Ramani
    I see Venus (Vidivelli as Tamils call it)every morning
    I didn't know it was a daily event ☕ Thanks for the tip...
  • Gad
    Gad
    Am already regretting that i missed the morning one. Thanks for the update,
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Raagavan Sivaraja
    I didn't know it was a daily event
    My mistake. As of now Venus is visible before sunrise. However it will move on in its orbit and become an evening star by and by.
    The Evening and Morning Star

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : Agriculture is the backbone of our Indian economy, more than 70% of our land resources is under vegetation but still we are lagging in the...
Hello Friends, I am 2015 batch pass-out and completed B.tech in computer science. I am from ncr region and have no problem in relocating. I need some advice to modify...
Hello Friends, I am looking for some good job portals from which I can find vacancies in various startups.. Thanks!
After a successful launch of the Jason-3 satellite into orbit at the Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, SpaceX’s attempt to land the Falcon 9 rocket back on a drone...
The Chinese multi-national tech giant Lenovo has launched its Thinkserver brand in the country with two entry level models- ThinkServer TS140 (Tower server), ThinkServer RD450 (2U rack server). This launch...