Fill IRCTC Form Quickly To Get Train Reservation

IRCTC is India's biggest ecommerce website that lets you book train tickets online. But getting a confirmed ticket through IRCTC involves 'luck factor'. The typical way of boosting your chances of getting a confirmed ticket, especially the 'tatkal' one is to login to the site exactly at 8:00 AM and trying your luck. Filling up the passenger details form may take some time and you can save on that time by using this simple trick provided by Amit Agrawal of labnol.org check -

Interesting, right?

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is interesting, but while trying to book tatkal the time it takes to load the trains and clicking on book is the one which takes more timeπŸ˜€
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Hmm... This might be helpful if we need to reserve for a large group of people, say more than 5 or 6.

I usually book tickets only for me, sometimes for me and my brother.. And I type quite fast.. So, that form is usually not a problem for me. What takes up most of the time while booking tatkal tickets is the website loading time itself. At 8 AM or somewhere near to that time, the irctc website mostly won't respond as quickly as it should. That waiting after we click the 'book' button, is where most of the time is spent.

But then, I have to say, this seems to be a good trick if the amount of typing to be done is large..
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I tired booking ticket at 4 pm and it took me one whole hour. πŸ‘Ž None of the pages loads fast.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    AbraKaDabra
    I tired booking ticket at 4 pm and it took me one whole hour. πŸ‘Ž None of the pages loads fast.
    Yesterday I spent 4 hours to find a suitable train. IRCTC πŸ‘Ž
  • Bani_01
    Bani_01
    usually the site is too busy or loaded that it takes almost 10-15 mins to load the page and by then the seats are full.
  • X-Engineer
    X-Engineer
    Being patient ...and leave the system alone after clicking each links......THE TRICKs I USE WHILE BOOKING TATKAL..
    Last 2 times i got the confirmed tatkal tickets...with the above mentioned tricks.....ofcource in a non-rush sesaon
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Cleartrip is one more site ,which offers similar services. and I think that doesnt use IRCTC like makemytrip.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Booked 2 tickets in approximately 40 minutes.
    The loading of the 'availability of trains' took most of the time.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    I agree with the others here. The issue is not about filling the forms but being able to connect and load the pages in time. The irctc site is so badly maintained that it hardly does open during the tatkal booking period and will be to laggy during the other periods. Thus, for booking tickets under normal quota I use the site only after 12.30 am as night time is the only period when the site runs smooth.

I understand that the servers get huge rush of requests due to the bookings and therefore the site gets sluggish, but they should upgrade their server resources.

I do think that using cloud services would best suit their needs and will offer utmost convenience to them as well as their customers.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    seems like Indian Railways has finally decided to upgrade their web portal. But our ticketing woes won't end until next year for when has the Indian Government been known to be quick in implementing its policies and decisions!
  • SKsinha
    SKsinha
    Whatever tricks you say about IRCTC booking system, their servers are too slow at peak times to give any positive results. In last two years I never been successful in getting a single tatkal ticket online though using good speed internet services.
  • sax.sunny
    sax.sunny
    Well, no one can do anything about the Server Speed and personal Internet Speed as well.

However, there are many tricks and tips to speed up the whole process.

You may wish to take a look at this Post - #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    its definitely using java scripting to fill the form...
    I use firefox and fill the form once, before 8am and when when actually have to fill the form its just repeat (tab and down arrow) and all form will be filled in 10 sec πŸ˜‰
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Hey, anyone here has tried the IRCTC Magic Autofill plugin for Chrome? I heard that it is of great help especially when you are booking a Tatkal train ticket and the rush is at its peak.

What the plugin does is - It auto-fills the passenger reservation form, right from the passenger name, age, gender, berth preference, food, ID card type and number and also lets you tick if the passenger is a senior citizen.

The auto-fill function saves you the precious 3-4 minutes (depending on your typing speed), thereby increasing your chances of securing a train ticket.

Anyone here tried it yet? The app has got really good reviews. I have to book train tickets for some family members today. Any heads up in this regard will be of help.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Since the IRCTC upgraded, things went butter smooth every time I booked a tatkal. I could finish within 30 sec most of the time. The website was very responsive except for one time where it gave a hiccup right after payment. I can even login at 9:59 without any problems. The website worked flawlessly.

#-Link-Snipped-#, I used to do autofill with AI Roboform but going along, I feel its not much helpful. The captcha below anyway take some time to load. And these days, you're not required to put an ID for tatkal tickets. Besides, your previous form history will work just nice and fast. Definitely autofill gives you an edge but it doesn't prove to be a game changer.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thank you so much for your inputs. I tried booking a tatkal ticket a couple of weeks back and failed miserably. There were some 260 tickets available for tatkal slot. And since it was a ticket for just one person, I didn't take more than 50 seconds to fill out the entire passenger details form. I even reached the payment page, filled in the bank details, went to the final bank's security page (for password), and the site redirected me to a page that displayed, the tickets have run out. It was unbelievable.

This was after Diwali season, so that could be the reason for the tickets running out.
    Which is more effective? Booking tickets online or going to the ticket window when it's vacation or festival time? What has worked for you?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Penultimate, the popular handwriting app has been acquired by evernote; the most popular note taking software on various mobile platforms. Penultimate allows users to take notes using a stylus or...
The much awaited phone Sony Xperia U is now available fore preorder on Flipkart at a price tag of Rs. 17399. Still stuck with the Android 2.3, the phone has...
ENIAC or Electronic Numerical Integrator And Computer) was the first general-purpose electronic computer. It was a Turing-complete digital computer capable of being reprogrammed to solve a full range of computing...
Hello everyone!!πŸ˜€ Iam snehalatha from mechanical engineering department now iam doing my 2ndyr btech from a JNTUH affiliated college. iam interested in doing mini projects and to grab some technical...
When I was a kid, like most of us; I always wondered what'd happen if we dug a hole directly through the center of the Earth, where would we land?...