Facebook Brings Express Wi-Fi With 700 Hotspots Across India; Ties Up With Airtel For 2000 More

Facebook is going straight ahead towards its goal of bringing more people online with various programs under its internet.org scheme, specifically aimed at developing and under developed nations. Facebook’s Express Wifi is one such initiative. And finally, after a year of testing with various ISPs (internet service providers), it is up and running in four states- Uttarakhand, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Meghalaya- using nearly 700 hotspots in these regions.

express_wifi_facebook

Today, the company announced its partnership with Airtel to launch an additional 20,000 hotspots spread over the country in next few months. The Express Wi-Fi program aims to provide hassle-free internet over Wifi taking help from local ISPs. No doubt, Wi-Fi is the easiest way of getting online. You don’t need to have a SIM card, LAN connection or data pack, just your device and you are good to go. Anyone will be able to connect with these Express WIFI’s after purchasing a plan from online stores or your express Wi-Fi retailer. Daily, weekly and monthly packs are available starting at as low as 10 Rs. per day.

The plan is to complement mobile data offerings with something more convenient and low-cost. Before coming to India, the Express Wi-Fi initiative was successfully launched in Kenya and is under testing process in countries like Tanzania, Nigeria and Indonesia. The company also insists on the fact that the program will bring economic empowerment to the local service providers who can earn a steady income by reselling internet to their neighbors, with Facebook providing the software for doing that.

India has a population of around 1.3 billion, but according to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI's) report only 390 million people use internet services and that’s the number after Jio effect. Facebook, in past, tried offering basic services free of cost to everyone under Free Basics program but the initiative was shut down by TRAI for being unfair. Now, they are back with the noble intentions and hope to expand quickly tying up with different service providers across the country.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Guys! I m Sourav Kumar and I got 9.4CGPA in 10th standard bt unfortunetly in 12th somehow I manage with 53.6%,recent I m pursuing my engineering in 3rd Year...
Ajit Paigrahi grew up in a middle-class family with both his parents working Government jobs and was sent to boarding school at a very young age. At boarding school, he...
This video is about making a snake out of paper. The style of paper folding and structure building shown in this video is called "3D Origami" if you wish to...
According to a recent tweet by the Xiaomi India's VP Manu Jain, the company is gearing up for the 'second biggest announcement this month' and is set to announce the...
Indian smartphone startup OKWU has launched its second smartphone in the country, the 4G VoLTE equipped OKWU Omicron at Rs 10,499. The unveiling of the smartphone was done by the...