F-35 Lands Vertically!

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#
After cost overruns, a series of delays, and almost a decade of hype, the F-35 Lighting finally performed a vertical landing for the first time. Yesterday at 1 P.M., after descending from a 150-foot-high hover, the test plane touched down on the tarmac at the Patuxent River Naval Air Station. This is a significant step forward for the F-35, as its vertical takeoff and landing capability are crucial to the fighter's role as a replacement for the aging Harrier jet.
The test began with a short runway takeoff at 93 miles per hour, after which the pilot swung around, positioned the plane over the runway, and lowered it down. The test pilot, a former Royal Air Force aviator with experience piloting VSTOL planes, said he found landing the F-35 vertically far easier than landing older planes, like the Harrier, the same way.
This test moves the F-35 program significantly closer to deployment. In fact, the Marine Corps hopes to start training its first round of F-35 pilots this fall. However, with February's announcement that the entire program has been delayed a year, and cost overruns threatening automatic program restructuring under the Nunn-McCurdy Amendment, I wouldn't bet on the Marines keeping to that schedule, even in light of this recent successful test.
[video=youtube;LPy7FuA0Z6A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPy7FuA0Z6A[/video]

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    This reminds me of a debate I had with my friend about the Harrier and the MiG 29. He was extolling the virtues of V/STOL, and I suppose these days it does make sense.

I wonder, perhaps in the future there will be a true VTOL aircraft that will eliminate the use of helicopters (or a hybrid of the two) that will eliminate the use of huge rotors?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

GM's display system might point to upcoming road signs and help outline the road in dark or foggy driving conditions. General Motors [video=youtube;J0xn1BA4mQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0xn1BA4mQc[/video]
Everybody knows that the Burj Khalifa won't be the tallest tower in future. The Millennium Challenge is all set to break the records and stand a full mile tall! 😒...
There are shoes made with velcro fasteners. However, I have never seen an adapter kit that would let one retrofit a pair of laced shoes to use a velcro fastener....
Hi.. Friends.. --Goto Run box --Type "cmd or command.com" --will show cmd interface... --type following information C:\>shutdown -s -m \\Network System name for example... C:\>shutdown -s -m \\deepasri-pc similarly, (-r...
Hello, Please help me. I am doing my project and i have problem If you can help me I want to know how can produce easy hydrogen from water (seawater)...