Eurocopter's Hybrid Helicopter-plane in flight

Eurocopter's hybrid copter X3 has two turbo props mounted on short span wings, in addition to the usual rotor system (five bladed), which enables cruise speeds 50% higher than helicopters per se.
It is on a month long demo tour of the USA. Its first flight in Texas:

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    What special functions do those turbo props on the wings serve ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Generally the rotor on top is tilted to provide the thrust required for horizontal flight. The absence of wings in regular helicopters also means that there is no lift as in regular planes. This hybrid provides some lift and thrust so that the rotor is used optimally. Overall power efficiency and handling is expected to be better as well as a higher speed in level flight.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Engineers, While I was surfing the net I found a blog in which English was fluent in all the posts. There are many new kind of words which I...
Gereenindex measures and monitor the progress of consumers from different countries toward environmentally sustainable consumption. This survey results are rolled out by National Geographic society in association with GlobeScan. The...
Just now a friend told me that CDAC's C-CAT Result is announced today. She has a difficulty in calculating the percentile. Did anyone here take C-CAT 2012? What is your...
I wanted to do projects on control system, to understand it fully.. Please help me about the ideas..
now here is another automatic scooter from hero (formerly known as hero-honda). this one looks like quite the rip-off of the honda activa. now this is the second such a...