Earth Bonding IEC Standard Enquiry

Hey there everyone,

Got some question on earthing standard. Is IEC Standard ever stated type of material for bolt/screw that shall be clamp with earthing wire?

Right now I'm going to use a Zinc Coated screw for earthing bond instead of brass or stainless steel, but all known that zinc coated easy to rust under humid condition. If the zinc coated screw start to rust, will it spread through other contact surface?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Copper and Zinc? A total NO, NO.

Copper-Zinc pair is one of the earliest primary cells:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Chemical/electrochem.html

This article tells what happens when galvanized fastening is used in various situations:

https://galvanizeit.org/hot-dip-galvanizing/how-long-does-hdg-last/in-contact-with-other-metals

• Jimmy Stanley
    Jimmy Stanley

Thanks for the information, appreciate it. Zinc-copper and zinc-brass really bad bad ideas... Now looking for compatible material for the earthing lug. Maybe Tin perhaps...?  (Stainless steel is a good match though but cost cut)... 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

What exactly are being joined? If the requirement s only a good electrical joint and no great mechanical strength is needed you can consider using a copper bolt and nut. By gradual tightening you can achive some amount of swaging, which will prevent loosening of the bolt.

After jointing, you can smear room temperature vulcanising silicone gel over it and get a water proof joint as well.

• Jimmy Stanley
    Jimmy Stanley

EUs3-Untitled.jpgTin or Brass? Contact with Zinc plated, under high humidity. (Air Conditioning unit)

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Zinc plated lug.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The so-called Intelligent Network Union Vehicle is a new generation of vehicle with complex environment perception, intelligent decision-making, collaborative control and execution functions, which carries advanced on-board sensors, integrates modern...
Whenever most of you guys think of an ideal career option, there would be some criteria to decide it. These criteria vary from person to person but I can say...
Thought this may interest my fellow engineers. It looks like they're offering various incentives to engineers who get involved early. The website is : www.enginhere.co.uk
in my power plant manual book say temp rise of condenser circulating water is 7dC.one day, temp rise increase (do to debris filter problem), temp rise >10dC, inlet 31dC outlet...
Heat treatment of steel parts is a process that changes the structure of steel by means of heating, heat preservation and cooling, so that the required properties of steel parts...