Does Dual-booting or Multiple boot affect system in any way?

Hey, if we dual boot or multiple boot our machine with different OS, then does it affect RAM or hard disk at system start up?

or effect the performance in any way..?

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    No it does not affect your system adversely. But it is valid till you run not more than 3 OS on same machine. But then again it depends on your HDD capacity. It should not be too much clustered with all this stuff. Generally 2 OS can healthily Co-Exist on same system. If you want more, you can use VMWare.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Hard disk gets partitioned and so the available memory space for a system gets reduced other than that not much significant changes is seen
  • Cyborg 009
    Cyborg 009
    No..only increases startup times.
    Its a myth that system slows down due to multi boot.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Cyborg 009
    No..only increases startup times.
    Its a myth that system slows down due to multi boot.
    The start up time is purely dependant on the the RAM speed is there any link between the RAM utilisation

Or is it due to too much stuff loaded into the RAM at startup?
  • Cyborg 009
    Cyborg 009
    Conqueror
    The start up time is purely dependant on the the RAM speed is there any link between the RAM utilisation

Or is it due to too much stuff loaded into the RAM at startup?
    boot sector has to load different os...then selection between them..
    single os starts quicker than this..
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    If you have both OS on same bootmanager, like both windows, or two versions of linux on same bootloader, then it will deliver equal speed. If the computer has to always switch on the boot managers, it will increase the boot time.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    But when system just starts up, doesn't boot manager gets overloaded, or I mean, not any strain on it..?

Doesn't it effects BIOS?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Not really your boot loader is not going to occupy the entire RAM just a Few KBs and files of these size don't destroy anything unless they are malwares
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Typically, if your system has multiple operating systems, the active boot-loader will ask you to select the operating system you want to boot your machine into. That adds a few seconds of delay to the overall boot time. The second thing that gets affected is your overall storage available to each operating system. Now this could not always be the case based on how the system storage is configured. But in normal situations - yes, the overall volume available for data storage for any individual OS will be lesser.

Virtualization, as someone mentioned above, is a different story altogether. VMWare, one of the popular Virtualization software let's your create a 'virtual machine' on the top of the host machine. Now, this *DOES* affect the overall performance of the host machine and even the virtual machine you've created. But this does not fall into the 'multiple boot' system we're talking about.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Typically, if your system has multiple operating systems, the active boot-loader will ask you to select the operating system you want to boot your machine into. That adds a few seconds of delay to the overall boot time. The second thing that gets affected is your overall storage available to each operating system. Now this could not always be the case based on how the system storage is configured. But in normal situations - yes, the overall volume available for data storage for any individual OS will be lesser.

Virtualization, as someone mentioned above, is a different story altogether. VMWare, one of the popular Virtualization software let's your create a 'virtual machine' on the top of the host machine. Now, this *DOES* affect the overall performance of the host machine and even the virtual machine you've created. But this does not fall into the 'multiple boot' system we're talking about.
    Yeah, I've tried out VMWare, and I'm sure about it, that both OS are affected in that case, but I'm still not getting, if in virtual OS, Other hardware is affected, then how does, no problem in multiple boot, (except for the increased boot time)
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Sanyam Khurana
    Yeah, I've tried out VMWare, and I'm sure about it, that both OS are affected in that case, but I'm still not getting, if in virtual OS, Other hardware is affected, then how does, no problem in multiple boot, (except for the increased boot time)

Multiboot doesn't run both or multiple operating systems at the same time. It utilized complete resources for each operating system whenever and whichever it loads. So no matter which operating system you use, RAM gives complete dedication to that environment.

In Virtual, you are hosting two operating systems and at the same time, dividing up the resources between them. This obviously affects performance.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What he ^ said.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Whether it increases boot time or startup time or anything I like to enjoy the benefits of multiple os excluding the negatives of it.

*increases startup time,
    *slows down pc.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    CSK AUTO
    Whether it increases boot time or startup time or anything I like to enjoy the benefits of multiple os excluding the negatives of it.

*increases startup time,
    *slows down pc.
    Go for a better RAM configuration in your system then

That will allow you to be better of with the system you use
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    There should not be any problem in multiple or dual boot, I have ubuntu and windows 7, only confirm that you don't run out of space or don't have any partition left for storage and have ram as required by OS.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Nayan Goenka
    Multiboot doesn't run both or multiple operating systems at the same time. It utilized complete resources for each operating system whenever and whichever it loads. So no matter which operating system you use, RAM gives complete dedication to that environment.

In Virtual, you are hosting two operating systems and at the same time, dividing up the resources between them. This obviously affects performance.
    Yeah !!

Got it..

Thanks all.. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The whole world is crazy about smart phones specially the young minds are so occupied in upgrading from one mobile to another. They are finding n number of combinations to...
crash test is one of the modern day analysis procedure used to find whether the the vehicle is safer for driving or not and find the tolerance of vehicle towards...
What exactly is the loading effect of capacitor? I found this as one of the main applications of the capacitor in electronic circuits. The book pointed that the capacitor in...
These devices provide a very high degree of isolation between the primary windigns and the secondary windings of the core. They are really robust and offer very high electrical/ galvanic...
For those who missed the earlier parts, there are the links to them. Prologue Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Greetings Readers, as mentioned earlier this post I...