View Feed
group-icon
Hacking and Computer Security
Community for every ethical hacker and computer security enthusiast to discuss latest and the best concepts and ideas.
370 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare • Dec 10, 2010

Do we need AntiVirus or Firewall for MacBook?

Like me, I am sure there must be a lot of users who switch from Windows to Mac. It's but obvious that we are concerned about firewalls & antivirus softwares.

But from what I have read, I have come to understand that it's just a personal choice.

Firstly, there is a good news: Mac OSX has it's own built-in firewall that can be activated in the 'Sharing pref' pane in System Preferences.

Now when it comes to antivirus software, let's see the pros and cons...

Pros:

1) Even though there is not a virus for Mac OSX that doesn't mean there will never be one. Having antivirus software installed makes you proactive in your protection.

2) If we use the machine in a network, antivirus software will help stop us from further infecting the network.

*While your Mac can't be infected by a Windows virus, it can pass it on*

We cannot see any kind of performance decrease or issues when running antivirus software.

Cons:

It eats up resources on some machines

In certain situations it could cause stability issues or kernel panics

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So in the end, it's for us to decide on what we have to choose.

Following are some antivirus softwares available for OSX:

Norton AntiVirus for Mac
McAfee Virex for Mac
ClamXav (free)
dinadana
dinadana • Feb 28, 2011
Of course it's your own decision and your own position - is it safe to use Mac without firewall, are there viruses for Mac and so on. But i think that more safety can't be unnecessary. I'm using firewall soft - ProteMac NetMine. I think it's good and i fell protected)

Share this content on your social channels -