Do we need AntiVirus or Firewall for MacBook?

Like me, I am sure there must be a lot of users who switch from Windows to Mac. It's but obvious that we are concerned about firewalls & antivirus softwares.

But from what I have read, I have come to understand that it's just a personal choice.

Firstly, there is a good news: Mac OSX has it's own built-in firewall that can be activated in the 'Sharing pref' pane in System Preferences.

Now when it comes to antivirus software, let's see the pros and cons...

Pros:

1) Even though there is not a virus for Mac OSX that doesn't mean there will never be one. Having antivirus software installed makes you proactive in your protection.

2) If we use the machine in a network, antivirus software will help stop us from further infecting the network.

*While your Mac can't be infected by a Windows virus, it can pass it on*

We cannot see any kind of performance decrease or issues when running antivirus software.

Cons:

It eats up resources on some machines

In certain situations it could cause stability issues or kernel panics

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So in the end, it's for us to decide on what we have to choose.

Following are some antivirus softwares available for OSX:

#-Link-Snipped-#
#-Link-Snipped-#
ClamXAV | Effective, trusted anti-virus and malware scanner for macOS (free)

Replies

• dinadana
    dinadana
    Of course it's your own decision and your own position - is it safe to use Mac without firewall, are there viruses for Mac and so on. But i think that more safety can't be unnecessary. I'm using firewall soft - ProteMac NetMine. I think it's good and i fell protected)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

YANTHRA 2010 was a combination of technical exhibition and a motor show held by Association of Mechanical Engineering Students of Jyothi Engineering College from Kerala. The technical exhibition included: roject...
am a final yr instrumentation and control student.need ideas on plc based project.pls help!
Can someone give me an info about Network projects involving cloud computing or virtualization or any other concept that may increase my chance of getting into top Companies ? My...
Hey guys, Lets start something interesting and lets learn simultaneously... I have a question fulfilling this purpose.. Suppose you are given one hour and you are using windows on some...
hi, I recently started using sql plus ....when i write select query i m not able to see previously inserted data in the table ..........can anyone tell how to do...