Do humans need to find another habitable planet?

One of the major aims of deep space exploration seems to be finding a planet that is habitable and humans can live on it. I'm wondering if there's any 'need' to do that. Of course, the first counter argument is this "What if we find out that the life on Earth is about to get destroyed? What would humans do then?".

I really wonder if that's happening and whether we really need to find another habitable planet. For once, most of our sophisticated telescopes have told us that we're safe from a big object hitting us or our solar system getting gulped by a black hole.

But even if we make other planet habitable; what are we going to do differently on it? That makes me wonder, what's the ultimate goal of human race? If there's any, at all.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio is likely to launch the Fiber To The Home (FTTH) service in India by Diwali this year; and if the sources are to be believed, the...
After getting his degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering in 2011, Bharath Hegde started a company called FourKubes with his college friend. After making it successful, in January 2015, Bharath...
Last week one challenge was given by Election commission of india to all the parties to hack the EVM. But one of the condition was not to touch EVM. I...
ASUS took to the stage at Computex 2017 to announce a slew of notebooks, PCs and smartphones but in this article we shall be focusing on a product which did...
When Android creator Andy Rubin announced that he would be creating his own company and launching Android devices, it raised a couple of eyebrows. Why would Andy leave Google and...