Digital Travel

Project Abstract / Summary : Definition of the Problem:

"The objective of the project is to modernise existing passenger ticketing system by introducing the concept of digital travel with the help of information technology to provide maximum benefits to the travelling public and the transport corporations and to promote our state towards Swatch Bharath". There are eight transport undertakings across the state which has a fleet of over 21,000 buses. They carry about two crore passengers daily. Average daily collection is 22.75 crore, while yearly collection is more than 7,500 crore. Surprisingly, the corporation has reported a collective loss of Rs 1,792 crore last year. The ticketing system followed at present has heaps of shortcomings namely

1. Investing money for printing and issuing a ticket in this digital world is the highest level of insanity.

2. Every passenger will have to provide the correct change in rupee to obtain a ticket. It is a matter of concern for both the passenger and the conductor.

3. Need to reduce the usage of paper and create a green environment. (2 crore tickets are printed daily)

4. Tickets turn out lots of cleanliness both inside the bus and in the bus depot.

Extent of current impact on the Society:

· Inconvenience to both passenger and conductor in giving the exact amount for a ticket

· Cheating by travelling without a ticket

· Tickets thrown everywhere in the bus and at the bus depot

Suggested Solution:

A prepaid card is issued to every passenger which can be used by him during bus travel. He needs to carry the card during his travel. The card will have a tag that contains his identity information and the amount he needs to pay for his travels. A RFID (Radio-frequency Identification) reader which uses wireless non-contact radio-frequency electromagnetic fields to transfer data through a GSM sender is kept at the bus door. At the control room there will be a GSM receiver to receive the message sent and will communicate the same to a main server.

A person with a card in his pocket will have to just enter the bus door, the door is installed with the RFID reader and GSM sender. The card will be read automatically and his information will be sent to the server. The same process is repeated when he leaves the bus. The time he enters the bus will be taken as a starting point and the time he leaves the bus will be taken as the ending time and based on the distance traveled his fare will be detected from his card automatically. If he enters in to the bus with a very low value in his card, a beep sound will indicate and he has to recharge his card in money vending machines kept at various bus depots.

Cost/ Benefit Analysis:

· No printing cost

· No paper cost

· Less fraudulence

· Cashless travel hence no pick pocketing

· Clean India​

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : The Bus transportation in India is made being difficulty from urban to rural areas. In order to bring easy journey of passengers this digital travel is the best innovative solution to solve this problems even during the peak hours.

Project Highlights : I would like to win this contest because I need to bring this solution to outer world to implement this ides in a practical way so that the people will enjoy the comfortable given by this solution. So, by winning this contest the world can know the solution to this problem

Project Category : Electrical / Electronics / Communication
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: Bannari Amman Institute of Technology
City: Sathyamangalam,Erode
State: Tamil Nadu
Participating Team From: Third Year

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm a final year CSE student. I heard making contributions to open source might get my resume noticed when I'm applying for job / internship. Now I am completely new...
Hlo sir /mam I'm Avinash sherkar diploma last yr student in mechanical engineering. I'm confused about a job /degree plz suggest me what to do..
Project Abstract / Summary : My project title is "Pollution Free Vehicle". It is basically an electric vehicle propelled by an Induction Motor & power supplied from rechargeable battery. The...
Project Abstract / Summary : My project title is "Pollution Free Vehicle". It is basically an electric vehicle propelled by an Induction Motor & power supplied from rechargeable battery. The...