Difference between LCD and Plasma TV

Although the two have similarly thin and flat screens, the differences between the two are substantial.

Plasma
Plasma technology uses a rectangular array of gas plasma cells, with electrical voltages that are precise, to create a crystal clear picture. In Plasma TVs, the display is a wide range of rich colors, with a low-luminance black.
In this technology, the pixels are individually lit, which allows you to attain a higher contrast ratio. ๐Ÿ˜

Pros
Apart from the contrast ratio, screen sizes in plasmas can be very large, which are useful in very large houses. Viewing plasmas from different angles in a room is a treat. The aspect of wide angle viewing is an enjoyable feature in plasma technology.
Plasmas produce deep rich color and brightness. Due to the high contrast ratio, the darkest and brightest part of an image is realistic in terms of appearance. The display of the color black is vivid in Plasmas.

Cons
Although the picture quality in this technology is astounding, the life of a plasma television is less as compared to LCDs. If the screen size is very large, wall mounting becomes difficult.
These television sets use glass in their screen makeup, which can reflect light and make viewing problematic. Moreover, glass screens are fragile and need to be handled with care.๐Ÿ˜”

LCD
Liquid Crystal Display, commonly known as LCD, consists of layers of liquid crystal, sandwiched between two glass plates. The images created, depend on the amount of electrical charge applied. LCDs are preferred by individuals for their sharp picture and low consumption of power. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Pros
In a room with lots of light, LCDs help in reducing the glare, which in turn makes viewing easy. The life span of these televisions is longer as compared to plasmas. LED-back-lighting in the form of 'direct' and 'edge' back-lighting, has significantly improved images in LCDs.
Screen burns which result in ghost images, occur when an image is left for a relatively long time. This is a common problem with plasmas, which is not the case with LCDs.

Cons ๐Ÿ˜”
Viewing LCDs from different angles can be a pain, as images sometimes appear to be dark and hazy. This can cause a problem when large families scattered in different areas of a room view television. The level of brightness in LCD is less, compared to a Plasma. The response time in these televisions is longer as compared to Plasmas. Objects moving at a rapid speed exhibit a blur in this technology. Another drawback in some LCDs is, the inability to display very low resolution, due to scaling limitations. Although LCDs are less expensive than Plasmas, the features included are less as compared to their counterparts.

So, which one will you prefer or do possess currently? ๐Ÿ˜’

Replies

• cooltwins
    cooltwins
    i think plasma is a better option
    i have been to my friends place where they have a LCD but it was seriously a pain ......
    you should sit directly in front of it or it is all dark and nothing can be seen.......
    any way nice info sarvesh........๐Ÿ‘
  • electronicsunzz
    electronicsunzz
    Plasma television technology
    Its based on the fluorescent light bulb. The display itself consists of cells. Within each cell two glass panels are separated by a narrow gap in which neon-xenon gas is injected and sealed in plasma form during the manufacturing process. The gas is electrically charged at specific intervals when the Plasma set is in use. The charged gas then strikes red, green, and blue phosphors, thus creating a television image. Each group of red, green, and blue phosphors is called a pixel (picture element).

Liquid crystal display(L.C.D)
    Basically, LCD panels are made of two layers of transparent material, which are polarized, and are "glued" together. One of the layers is coated with a special polymer that holds the individual liquid crystals. Current is then passed through individual crystals, which allow the crystals to pass or block light to create images. LCD crystals do not produce their own light, so an external light source, such as florescent bulb is needed for the image created by the LCD to become visible to the viewer.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Try the new Netbeans IDE 6.8 The only IDE you need! Runs on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris. NetBeans IDE is open-source and free. Download Welcome to NetBeans
please help me with a ladder diagram for a coffee vending machine.
i need some of project title related to scada application in power station
Please checkout and tell whether the code given below is correct or not create procedure p5(reg number,n number) is i1 number; e1 number; nam varchar2(20); tot number; j number; l...
hi everyone, i am doing my final year and now i am ready to final project in embedded systems.. i wanted to details regarding coin sensors . my aim is...