Difference between gas and steam power cycle

As we know that steam as well as some gases are used as working fluids during power generation cycles. But my question is that what are the main reasons that we use steam instead of gases in power generation cycles or vice versa
explain the question by keeping in mind the deviation from ideal behaviour of working fluid

Replies

• akpower
    akpower
    1]Steam (superheated) has all properties of a gas with reference to heat transfer.Additionally, when condensed it is easy to handle it in liquid form.It is available in all parts of world.As pointed by you,cycling the same fluid in two forms i.e.gaseous and liquid is possible in case of water.
    2] Freely available gases in nature are scarce.It is also impracticable(non-economical) to generate desired gases for heat transfer in a cycle. Moreover,leakages in the system/ cycle makes it difficult to make-up.
    3]Gases used in power generation mostly are heat source.i.e.combustible gases like methane.But major heat carrier media is air a natural freely available substance.
  • Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    thanks brother

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Zealicon 2012 is a Techno Cultural Fest organized by JSS Academy of Technical Education, Noida. It is here to enthrall your imagination. Encompassing a plethora of events that require an...
Azerbaijan Tower could soon become the world's tallest man-made structure with height reaching over 1050 meter. Burj Khalifa, the current tallest building in the world located in Dubai may get...
Amazon had earlier applied to setup their own courier service in India and the latest news is that the company has been granted approval for the setup. It appears that...
I'm sure that all the Samsung Galaxy Note users worldwide have been eagerly waiting for Sammy to release the Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 update for the phone. I've been...
The following is the current state of an ongoing game between 'circle' and 'cross' :- You have to answer who played the first turn - 'circle' or 'cross' ? And...