Diatoms fossils may now power your electric car

Fossils of Diatoms, a single celled algae, may now be used in the production of anodes for the lithium-ion batteries that power electric cars. Team of researchers from Marlan and Rosemary Bourns College of Engineering | We Engineer Excellencehave succeeded in developing economical and highly efficient technique to create silicon-based anodes for li-ion batteries. The team published a paper describing their work in the latest issue of Scientific Reports.

Lead researchers Mihri Ozkan and Cengiz Ozkan along with Brennan Campbell have been working on creating environment-friendly anodes for lithium-ion batteries. Typically, Graphite is one of the common materials used in the production of anodes for the batteries, however it's got performance limitations. Silicon is being considered as an alternative to graphite as it can boost the storage capacity by a factor of 10.

Cengiz-and-Mihri-fossils-electric-car
Cengiz Ozkan(left) and Mihri Ozkan​

One of the big issues with using Silicon in place of Graphite is that its production through carbothermic reduction requires lot of energy and is therefore expensive. In order to address this problem, the research team found out a cheaper source of silicon, that is diatomaceous earth aka 'DE' and an efficient chemical process. The DE is available in abundance in the nature. The team used magnesiothermic reduction process to convert Silicon Dioxide into pure silicon particles.

The researchers believe that their work would led to manufacturing of better batteries that are cheaper and yet, more efficient. Check out the source link below for further information about the research.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Howdy CEans! On November 26, 2016 CrazyEngineers will celebrate its 11th birthday. With the love and support of our CEans in over 180 countries; we've grown into a global community...
Hi and Hello to everyone! My name is V. Sai Kiran.I am a new sighin,joined now itself.My home town is hyderabad .Found this website while browsing for what to do...
Swipe has tied up with Flipkart to launch a new smartphone called Elite 2 Plus that is aimed at the budget conscious crowd. The Swipe Elite 2 Plus costs just...
In a rare breakthrough, scientists at Oak Ridge National Laboratory have stumbled upon an electrochemical process that uses tiny spikes of carbon and copper to turn carbon dioxide, a greenhouse...
I used the incandescent lamp dimmer circuit for dimming ac led bulb.But it doesn't turn off and on completely.Flickering also happening.A resistor was placed across output(bulb) but it gets hot...