CS Debate: Google Go Vs. Python Vs. C++ Vs. PHP

Google has released its new programming language called "Go". Can anyone compare Google Go with Python & C++?

By the way, anyone from Google Go watching this? We'd appreciate your inputs 😀

Replies

• Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    Re: CS Debate: Google Go Vs. Python Vs. C++

Dang! One more programming language to learn 😕 😔

Take a Look ;-)
    #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, here's something [taken directly from Golang.org]

What is the purpose of the project?

No major systems language has emerged in over a decade, but over that time the computing landscape has changed tremendously. There are several trends:

• Computers are enormously quicker but software development is not faster.
    • Dependency management is a big part of software development today but the “header files” of languages in the C tradition are antithetical to clean dependency analysis—and fast compilation.
    • There is a growing rebellion against cumbersome type systems like those of Java and C++, pushing people towards dynamically typed languages such as Python and JavaScript.
    • Some fundamental concepts such as garbage collection and parallel computation are not well supported by popular systems languages.
    • The emergence of multicore computers has generated worry and confusion.
    We believe it's worth trying again with a new language, a concurrent, garbage-collected language with fast compilation. Regarding the points above:

• It is possible to compile a large Go program in a few seconds on a single computer.
    • Go provides a model for software construction that makes dependency analysis easy and avoids much of the overhead of C-style include files and libraries.
    • Go's type system has no hierarchy, so no time is spent defining the relationships between types. Also, although Go has static types the language attempts to make types feel lighter weight than in typical OO languages.
    • Go is fully garbage-collected and provides fundamental support for concurrent execution and communication.
    • By its design, Go proposes an approach for the construction of system software on multicore machines.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Great !!! Another programming language with good purpose!!!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I suppose it still depends on purpose. C++ will still remain the viable choice for some applications. I think Go is just an enhanced version of Python, and is "claimed" to be more efficient with new hardware.

Who knows, probably the impetus is for Google to capture everything on the net in its favour, down to the 1's and 0's 😉
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    After all it is Google, something must be there that is worth noticing

maybe it catches the eye of programmers in time to come

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Rasmus Lerdorf The creator of PHP - one of the hottest web programming languages is leaving Yahoo. Lerdorf joined Yahoo in 2002 and has worked for the company as an...
CEan, I've been long thinking of forming groups of people joining various companies so that they can interact with each other and get to know each other before they meet...
CEans, During my last few visits to engineering colleges, I met several students who have brilliant ideas and are thinking of converting their ideas into useful services / products. If...
CEans, I guess the time for techfests and college annual events has arrived. If your college is organizing any event, feel free to post information about it here. Do not...
If you have been using Firefox 3.6 beta 1, get fixes to over 190 bugs in the latest beta 2 available for download from FF beta page: Firefox web browser...