Cryogenic rocket engine to propel India into elite club

Come April 15, India will join an elite club of five other nations having the cryogenic engine technology that would give enhanced power to its rockets to lift off into space.

On that day, the Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) will demonstrate the indigenously developed cryogenic engine upper stage technology while launching the advanced Rs150-crore GSAT-4 satellite onboard the geo-stationary satellite launch vehicle (GSLV)-D3 rocket, Isro chairman K Radhakrishnan said. The lift-off of GSLV-D3 has been scheduled at 4.27 pm on April 15 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) in Sriharikota.

The cryogenic engine for the Rs175-crore GSLV-D3 will provide almost twice the power to lift-off as compared to the existing capacity of rockets.

Isro scientists said a cryogenic engine was a rocket motor designed to maintain liquid fuels in liquid form at temperatures much below zero degree Celsius.

The engine components are also cooled so that the liquid fuel does not boil to a gaseous state while being fed to the engine. The powerful thrust comes from the rapid expansion from liquid to gas with the gas emerging from the motor at very high speed.

Cryogenic engines are known to be the most powerful rocket engines. The other five countries in possession of this engine technology are the US, Russia, France, Japan and China.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello. kindly help me with following auestion. 1.short note on channel length in MOS 2.what are the various parasatic effects in MOSFET? 3..explanation of dynamic characteristic of inverter kindly provide...
hiiii i would like to know about various courses which a 3rd year computer science student can pursue during summer vacations...like php,sap,python,c#..and so on are some of the targets but...
I've read that concrete will further harder for 40 to 50 years after it is poured. Does it need additional moisture to do this? - moisture in addition to the...
i am a student of engineering 3rd year of computer science in jaipur. as per our curriculam of engineering a 30 days industrial training is proposed during 12 may- 18...
Many Many Happy Returns Of The Day "gaurav.bhorkar" 😀 😁 Enjoy to the fullest.... :smile: