Crossover anyone?

This is for all those Linux fans out there, who have to put up with Windows just because their jobs demand the usage of MS-Office, et al. Applications which are undoubtedly better in Windows.

The immediate response of any linux fanatic would be ... theres openoffice!! Yes, its there, but come on, with the complete lack of formatting and a slightly clumsy GUI, how can one work professionally on openoffice? The next answer is wine, but that too to configure for Office 2003, is something best left to experts.

Finally, the guys at Codeweavers have come up with a great product called as Crossover, which uses wine as a base. You can install Office 2003 and use all the applications as though its a native application. Only hitch is that it comes at a decent price of $40. Fair price to move effortlessly from Vista to Linux I say 😀.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've used Open Office, Star Office, MS Office 2003 and I'm all settled with MS Office 2007. Trust me, nothing comes closer to Office 2007! It simply rocks.

I actually bought MS Office 2007 Standard Edition and I don't think I wasted my money.

Crossover looks like a cool utility. But $40 price tag is a bummer. Are there any open source alternatives available?
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Well, if you do have an Intel processor, then just google for it and you will find some rapidshare links for the .deb/.rpm files. Sadly for ppl like me who are on amd64, there werent any. Shelled out $40 😀. I dont mind good $ spent!!

I tried MS Office 2007, snazzy looking and good fun, but why upgrade when 2003 is good enough? It satisfies all my needs.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi . all the Crazy people out Here, m a Mechanical Er from Mumbai. Its Gr8 to be among u guys hope vll have many gr8 Discusns and fun too.
Friends, I was writing an article for CE - Help section and thought of this - "Why would anyone join CE". The obvious answers are "It's cool, its free...etc." However,...
hello friends, i am using my notebook over a local area network. if i share my disk partition, can any one of you explain me how to give selective access...
Business Software Development is a boon to the corporate world. The tedious tasks have been simplified by the use of Business software applications such as enterprise resource planning, enterprise content...
Hello, I need topics for mini project on ASP.net & C#. 😕